Wads under Paper-patch bullets

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
.22-5-40
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

Wads under Paper-patch bullets

Post by .22-5-40 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm

Hello, I have a question about the use of wads under a bore sized paper-patched bullet using black powder. Loading is for a .40-70 2 1/2" straight ctg. If I use a hard veg. fiber wad under the bullet, but use a softer wad under that..say a felt wad, and or Puff-Lon filler..in order to reduce case capacity for a lighter recoiling load...will the kick of the powder charge still obturate bullet to groove dia.? Bullets are 330gr. cast 30-1. Thanks!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1738
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Wads under Paper-patch bullets

Post by Brent » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:00 pm

Almost certainly. However, it is easy to tell. Shoot it, and collect the papers. The paper doesn't lie.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

DirtySteve
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Post by DirtySteve » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 pm

I use a milk carton wad under the bullet.. Thin and resists any migration of the lubrication disc...
Dirty Steve
Forsyth, MT

Muzzlestuffer
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Post by Muzzlestuffer » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:22 pm

.22-5-40 wroteCOLON
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm
Hello, I have a question about the use of wads under a bore sized paper-patched bullet using black powder. Loading is for a .40-70 2 1/2" straight ctg. If I use a hard veg. fiber wad under the bullet, but use a softer wad under that..say a felt wad, and or Puff-Lon filler..in order to reduce case capacity for a lighter recoiling load...will the kick of the powder charge still obturate bullet to groove dia.? Bullets are 330gr. cast 30-1. Thanks!
I use a lubed felt wad my 45-90 load is 82 grs Swiss 2f followed by a .30 veg wad then a grease cookie then a lubed felt wad followed by another .30 veg wad then a pp money bullet works great in my gun!!

Brent
PostsCOLON 1738

Post by Brent » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 am

Muzzlestuffer, you probably mean a 0.03" veg wad, not 0.3".

Muzzlestuffer
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Post by Muzzlestuffer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:11 pm

Brent wroteCOLON
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 am
Muzzlestuffer, you probably mean a 0.03" veg wad, not 0.3".
.030 thirty thou

Kurt
PostsCOLON 675
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:26 am

My thought on using pufflon between two hard objects like a wad and under a bullet leaves a lot of air around the soft fibers to create a hydraulic bump that could cause a problem the wider the gap between the wad and bullet the greatr the hydraulic action.
But this is just an assumption on my part, I never used a filler.

Kurt
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1738

Post by Brent » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:30 am

Kurt,
Butch Ulsher used to shoot a whole lot of pufflon chicken loads using greasers without a problem. I've got some pufflon, but it's too expensive to make into a habit. I don't think it is as likely to work with bore diameter bullets.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 675

Post by Kurt » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:36 am

Brent,
I have no idea what that stuff will do in a cartridge with black powder, like I said I never used fillers so I should never even have posted on this.
If I want the let the grand daughters shoot my .40-70 or the .40-65 I just use a couple wads and deep seat the bullets to reduce the powder volume and the 12 and 14 year old handle the load very well.
I rung a chamber that was caused by a hang fire. I don't know how far the primer pushed the bullet before the powder set off but the ring was just short of the case mouth so it didn't get pushed to far. I would think a fiber filler would have a lot of air mixed in and depending on how much is between the wad over the powdered the bullet base just how much volume would the trapped air in the filler would cause damage if any.
Teddy Roosevelt.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1738

Post by Brent » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:45 am

I would not shoot it with black. It might melt and make a mess like plastic wads in a shotgun.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 675

Post by Kurt » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:33 am

:D I always say, if you cant tolerate the recoil use a smaller caliber. :D

Shooting the gong shoots like the Quigley I can tell right away if a guy is using puffon up wind from me, my eyes start burning and watering.
Teddy Roosevelt.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY