Cressent butt pad to lengthen LOP?

Discussion of BPCR rifles and shooting accessories, including range equipment.
cedestech
PostsCOLON 18
JoinedCOLON Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Cressent butt pad to lengthen LOP?

Post by cedestech » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Figure this is as good a place to ask as any...

My Stevens 44 LOP is entirely too short for me to shoot effectively offhand.

The crescent is really small, 4" tall. Anyone know of pre-made slip over pads that might fit? If I could get an inch out of it that would be fantastic.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1737
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Cressent butt pad to lengthen LOP?

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:09 am

This is what I do. This is a Winchester 85 Special sporting, but I've done it on all kinds of rifles because length is everything and they are always too short.

I'm not from here, I just live here.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 18

Post by cedestech » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:54 am

Is that an old boot?!?!?!? :)

I'm going to have to rig up something like that. I shoot a lot of lever action silhouette and I know they make leather cuffs for lever guns but this 44's crescent is so small none are going to fit.

I'd rather buy but am not above home grown...

Brent
PostsCOLON 1737
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:22 am

The "boot" is the lower end of a sling system that I buy from Cabelas or other places. Typically sold as a muzzleloader accessory.

The Leather filler I made by laminating layers of leather together with Barge cement (basically contact cement). The leather is glued and clamped over a piece of wood that has been cut to match the curve of the plate. You have to glue it curved rather than curving it after gluing.

Then I ground the edges down a bit with a belt sander.

For pads that are over 1/2" thick you will probably want to glue the pad to the lace up boot, but do that after you have used it a bit so everything stretches to fit a bit better.

You will lose some of the concavity of the crescent but that's okay. Your crescent is probably borderline legal anyway.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 18

Post by cedestech » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm

Thanks!

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1048
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 pm

Emmett,

Go to the ASSRA forum (https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl) and post the same request. I'll bet you'll get a bunch of suggestions. Beautiful rifle BTW. I meant to check it out at the match but forgot. I also shoot an original Stevens 44.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

cedestech
PostsCOLON 18

Post by cedestech » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 am

Say Hi. I've been shooting silhouette for a long time but am new to BPCR so I'm don't know anyone in the group... :)

It is a pretty rifle, that is how I got suckered into buying it and spending so much I should have just bought a CPA and been done...

:(

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1048
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:46 am

cedestech wroteCOLON
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:58 am
Say Hi. I've been shooting silhouette for a long time but am new to BPCR so I'm don't know anyone in the group... :)
It is a pretty rifle, that is how I got suckered into buying it and spending so much I should have just bought a CPA and been done...
:(
Emmett,

I'm Wayne McLerran, better known on many of the BPCR forums as TexasMac. I'm the tall, dark hair, muscular and extremely good looking guy that you met at the match. :roll: :lol: Both you and I are friends with Tim L. I also shoot in his monthly modified .22BPCR match at ARC although I missed the last one. Always glad to welcome another .22BPCR shooter. BTW, I've had very good success with my original Stevens 44, but I can appreciate your reference to CPA rifles. They make very nice rifles. I will see you at a future match. Take care.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY