TexasMac's Texas Style Stuffed Jalapenos

Attributed quotes from individuals, wisdom from the ages, and other good things to know.
TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1048
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

TexasMac's Texas Style Stuffed Jalapenos

Post by TexasMac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Just thought you might be interested in trying the following, especially if you eat a lot of jalapenos in or with your food as I do. I made a bunch last weekend and they turned out great.

Wayne
==================

Texas Style Stuffed Jalapenos
By TexasMac

You can cook them on an outside grill or in the oven. It’s easier in the oven, but I prefer the grill with an open flame as it imparts additional smoky flavor and the bacon is crisper, but you’ll have to monitor the cooking and turn the jalapenos to reduce flame up and burning. The follow ingredients will make approximately two-dozen medium stuffed jalapenos, scale up the amounts for more.

- 24 medium jalapenos
- 24 wood toothpicks – while preparing the following items, soak the toothpicks in hot-faucet water so the tips will not burn as fast on the grill.
- ½ lb of regular thickness sliced bacon. Use hickory smoked bacon if cooking in an oven
- 8 oz. package of cream cheese
- 3 oz. grated cheddar cheese or “Mexican cheese” – I prefer the Mexican cheese.
- A couple of crushed/shredded garlic cloves or 1 tsp of garlic
- A dash of salt or garlic salt
* Dump toothpicks in a small bowl of faucet-hot water.
* Mix the cheese, garlic and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
* Cut the bacon slices in half - crosswise, not lengthwise (;>)
* Slit the peppers in half lengthwise down one side. Force open and scrape out the seeds and membranes with a small spoon. A ¼ tsp. aluminum measuring-spoon worked great for me. If you accidentally cut all the way through or the pepper breaks in half while cleaning or stuffing, no problem, the bacon and toothpicks will hold the two halves together.
* Open the pepper just enough to fill completely with the cheese mix. I force in the cheese with a regular teaspoon. Close the pepper and, if completely full, excess cheese should squeeze out. Scrape of the excess.
* Wrap with the half-slice of bacon. I find it works better if the bacon is wrapped so that the ends meet on the back side (non-slit side of the pepper). This way the bacon helps in holding the cheese in while cooking.
* Insert wet toothpick completely though both sides of the stuffed jalapeno and bacon.
* Place on grill or in a preheated oven at 450 degrees. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp and the jalapeno starts to soften and wrinkle. Turn each over at least once.

Warnings: The cheese stuffing will hold heat for a long time; so let them cool some before digging in. You’ll need lots of beer or other drinks to moderate the “jalapeno fire”. These are addictive, but try to consume in moderation. If you eat more than 5 or 6 in quick succession you’ll definitely regret it the next morning.
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Badger Matt
PostsCOLON 9
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Riverview/Tampa, FL

Post by Badger Matt » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:28 pm

Thanks Wayne. I've got a day off tomorrow and, by golly, I'm gonna try that recipe.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY