Looking for my first (BPCR) Rifle, I'm thinking......

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm
LocationCOLON Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
CONTACTCOLON

First BPCR

Post by gregg877 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:15 am

Ranch, Name calling is the hallmark of ignorance. Maybe you should think about that and check yourself.

Furthurmore, yeah, you could SETTLE for what's on the available list from C. Sharps, but if you're gonna spend the money either way, you should get what you want, not settle on what someone else changed their mind on because it's on the shelf and cheap.

I'm in to my starter rifle for under $1500 including an MVA #108 midrange vernier, and a pedersoli USA 455 globe sight, it shoots 3 1/2" to 4" groups @ 200 yards out of the box, and I haven't even started tuning my handloads, which is a little more than "serviceable". Folks my way are winning matches with the same rifle and putting several rounds into the same little ragged hole at the same distance.

Want to get out and play now, buy Pedersoli, save up, by american later after you've had some fun.

Gregg
Breath Relax Aim Stop Squeeze

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

American

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:31 am

Sorry, .....just can't go along with that approach.

Buy smart, buy American :D

My $.02,

GTC 8)

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:35 am

Gregg if you had looked at what CSharps has to offer, even IF they didn't have a 75 in a cartridge you wanted available. It don't take long (mine was 30 days from order to delivery), and at 1680 with the deluxe sights, the 75's are a bunch better buy than any of the Italians.
Lots of luck with your rifle. As I said before I've been shooting one of the Italians for several years. Know just a bit of what I'm talking about here.

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

First BPCR

Post by gregg877 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:45 am

I've been in love with the Sharps since I was 10, starting with the NM1859, and now 20 years and many guns in the safe later, having discovered the metallic cartridge world the 74 is for me just pure western sexy.

To be honest, the 75 is absolutely ugly, I came real close to buying one, fondled it, shouldered it, and I really did not like at all. Lucky for us it never saw widespread production(see Frank Sellers Book). I realize they also offer a 74, but after the wait, excise tax shipping and transfer, I'm spending a lot more than I can and not out shooting.

I've looked at C. Sharps, and Shiloh, and as a new dad and one of the working middle class, I can't just poop out 2G's on something I'll have to wait 2 years for while I have my face pressed against the window watching everybody else have fun.

I Drive a Toyota, Ride a Kawasaki, and shoot Pedersoli, I'm happy with all 3.

Gregg

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 pm

:D 75 Ugly? hmm wondering more and more if you've even seen one. let alone handled one.
Waiting period? Well ok Shiloh's wait is a bit rediculous, CSA wait is almost nonexistant. Once again if there's nothing on the available list, from order date to delivery date was 30 days on my rifle just received a couple of weeks ago. :roll:
:shock: Excise tax? Don't amount to much especially when you consider the quality, and resale value , and the lasting investment. A Montana built rifle a year from now will most likely be worth what it cost, maybe more, an Italian purhased today will be worth half that a month from now.
:lol: 30 years old and full of pith and vinegar, :roll: Boy you make me prouder of both my sons everytime you open your mouth. By the way, they're both older than you are.
Have a good day.

DML
PostsCOLON 254
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm
LocationCOLON Aridzona

Post by DML » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Ranch:

You're wasting your key strokes. Gregg is obviously an expert and knows everything. :wink: If you say black, he'll say white and vice-versa. Why bother?

Take look at where he is from. :roll:

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Group size

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:11 pm

Yup, :roll:

GTC 8)

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767

Ranch

Post by crossfireoops » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:23 pm

Ya' know, ....lookin at this in retrospect, :roll: , this may be the perfect opportunity for Ranch to work on his " Wetsern Sexy" image......him being a greenhorn 'n all. :D :D :D :D :D :D

BWA HA HA hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ugly or not ( beauty being in the eyes of the beholder) that very long reciever ring on the '75 makes it De-facto, a better platform for a target rifle.

Would note that the "Pedersoli Challenge" is not being won by Pedersolis, thought that might be a nice beer can fulla gas to toss on this blaze. :shock: :D

GTC 8)

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

First BPCR wanted

Post by gregg877 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:59 am

Wow guys, thanks for the personal barbs, I see you're keyboard courage is strong. My feelings would almost be hurt if I...cared. :(

But, I really don't. I've voiced my opinion, sorry I'm not buying into your "Buy American" BS, but hey, I like what I like and I'm going to tell someone what I think if they ask.

Nuff said, I'm done with this thread.

ssdave
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:00 am

Re: First BPCR

Post by ssdave » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:30 pm

gregg877 wroteCOLON I Drive a Toyota, Ride a Kawasaki, and shoot Pedersoli, I'm happy with all 3.

Want to get out and play now, buy Pedersoli, save up, by american later after you've had some fun.

Gregg
I typed up a long reply to this, and then thought better.

Gregg, I wish you happiness now, maturity soon, and wisdom as you mature.

Financial, personal, and economic success awaits those in your generation who will learn to exercise more self discipline and demand less instant gratification.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:33 pm

Ranch 13 wroteCOLONAs I said before I've been shooting one of the Italians for several years. Know just a bit of what I'm talking about here.
"...still less than 100 rnds thru the barrel not so bad I'm thinkin."
viewtopic.php?t=1880

Are you guys aware this thread was started back in August of 2006?
I doubt the original author is still reading...
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:03 pm

montana_charlie wroteCOLON[

Are you guys aware this thread was started back in August of 2006?
I doubt the original author is still reading...
CM
:lol: :lol: By golly Charlie you're right,
:? still doesn't do much for our budding firearms expert in Massachusetts misguided math tho. :P

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Ranch 13 wroteCOLONstill doesn't do much for our budding firearms expert in Massachusetts misguided math tho. :P
I'm no math wiz, but the numbers back in 2006 really made the Pedersoli work for the guy on a budget.
$950 for a 'plain jane' Pedersoli versus $1657 for a 'plain jane' Shiloh.
And, the Shiloh had a couple of hundred tacked onto that price..for taxes.
(I have never kept track of C. Sharps prices, so they are not in here.)

When the dollar dropped, the prices for everything from Europe went up.
Now, that 'plain jane' Pedersoli is all the way up to $1325 (still using Cherry's prices).

That means the difference today is $500 instead of $900.
To some guys - me included - five hundred dollars would make the difference between shooting a (reliable) Sharps, and doing without.

That's all I'm sayin'...
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:19 pm

Charlie take another look, the standard 75 is 1280, the deluxe sporting and target WITH DELUXE SIGHTS , is 1680 pluse fet and shipping. That puts a shooter on the line with a top quality rifle for about the same as your bottom of the pile pedersoli, and then have to go buy some sights.
And just so's we can short circuit the arguement a bit, the break in process involves shooting 10 rounds of smokeless jacketed bullets, cleaning in between shots, followed by another 10 cleaning every 2 rounds. Not a particularly big deal, I did mine out the back door during a blizzard. When the weather cleared I was ready to go with the good stuff.

Quite frankly if you've saved and scrimped all it takes to get to where you can buy the imported rifle, just a tad bit longer stuffing the piggy bank to get AMERCIAN made isn't going to be that much more of a burden. Especially when you consider the lasting investment.

I'm in total agreement that a year or two back the Italian's were a good way to jump in, good quality and half the price. Now its good quality vs excellent quality for the same money.
:? :x Unfortunately the European Union has decided to try and declare war and bring this country to its knees. They can't get it done with armies, but they dang sure have themselves slathered up they can do it by trying to ruin our economy, by undermining our currency. Forgetting all about the fact that all the welfare dollars that goes from our country to theirs will now be worth less than before, so in a sense they're cutting their nose off to spite their face.

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
CONTACTCOLON

Post by gregg877 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:58 am

Ranch 13 wroteCOLONCharlie take another look, the standard 75 is 1280, the deluxe sporting and target WITH DELUXE SIGHTS , is 1680 pluse fet and shipping. That puts a shooter on the line with a top quality rifle for about the same as your bottom of the pile pedersoli, and then have to go buy some sights.
And just so's we can short circuit the arguement a bit, the break in process involves shooting 10 rounds of smokeless jacketed bullets, cleaning in between shots, followed by another 10 cleaning every 2 rounds. Not a particularly big deal, I did mine out the back door during a blizzard. When the weather cleared I was ready to go with the good stuff.

Quite frankly if you've saved and scrimped all it takes to get to where you can buy the imported rifle, just a tad bit longer stuffing the piggy bank to get AMERCIAN made isn't going to be that much more of a burden. Especially when you consider the lasting investment.

I'm in total agreement that a year or two back the Italian's were a good way to jump in, good quality and half the price. Now its good quality vs excellent quality for the same money.
:? :x Unfortunately the European Union has decided to try and declare war and bring this country to its knees. They can't get it done with armies, but they dang sure have themselves slathered up they can do it by trying to ruin our economy, by undermining our currency. Forgetting all about the fact that all the welfare dollars that goes from our country to theirs will now be worth less than before, so in a sense they're cutting their nose off to spite their face.
I'd agree with that, and if I was shopping now, after the price increase from Pedersoli, would probably not have gone italian(well, used maybe if it was the same model I was interested in) BUT I still wouldn't wait 22 months for a shiloh if I was looking for a starter rifle, though when I do get around to ordering my Quigly, I will anyway. For $500 more and no wait, I'd go with a 74' from C. Sharps to get in to the game.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY