Looking for my first (BPCR) Rifle, I'm thinking......

Beachcrib
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:38 am
LocationCOLON Flagler Beach

Looking for my first (BPCR) Rifle, I'm thinking......

Post by Beachcrib » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:44 am

From what research I have done , I am looking at Pedersoli rifles. I can't really spend more then $1600 on this rifle. So Pedersoli maybe the way to go? I'm looking at the Dixon model , it's under the 12.2 lbs rule etc. Is it a well balanced rifle, weight wise? Can I do better? I'm looking for a accurate rifle that is well made, under 12.2 lbs and and under $1600.

Best place to buy? who ca be trusted to get me a great rife and not let a lemon through? Buffalo Arms company seems to have good prices, any experience? All opinions would be great, trying to grab as much info. as possible. This is a whole new type of shooting for me. Thanks

Beachcrib
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:38 am
LocationCOLON Flagler Beach

Post by Beachcrib » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:48 am

Can I save a load of cash buying used or do they hold their value well?

ND Sharpshooter
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:37 pm
LocationCOLON Devils Lake, ND

Post by ND Sharpshooter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:20 am

Beachcrib,

I have a NIB Sharps in 45-70 for sale. It's imported by Tri-Star of Kansas City MO. It has a 32" octagon barrel and they call it the Old Reliable. It has nice wood, is checkered, has a schnabel type fore end with no metal fore end cap so it looks really nice. Has the factory ladder sight on the barrel and the silvery metal front sight as the original did. I bought the tang and globe sights Tri-Star sells as an after market add-on for my old one. The tang has both medium and long range staffs. They are about $120.00 from Tri-Star. Also have Saeco's 2 Cavity mould 023 v13 which casts a 330 or so grain flat nosed spitzer. Those are the numbers on the mould. The number on the box it came in are #62301. It worked well in my old Tri-star which ended up having a "bad barrel" as Tri-Star put it and they sent me this new rifle. I also have a 40-65 that I've shot a lot in the absence of the 45-70 and decided that I'm going to sell this new one instead of shooting it since I can size down the brass to use in my 40-65. Sell the whole works for $1000.00 plus shipping from my FFL holder to yours. Deal also includes Lee Precision die set and bag each of .030 and .060 over powder wads.
Last edited by 1 on ND Sharpshooter, edited 0 times in total.
"Never said I didn't know how to use one."

Brent
PostsCOLON 1742
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:17 am

The Pedersoli is a fine rifle indeed. They should go a good bit under $1600 but you will need sights and the like. At least most folks end up wanting to replace the sights.

A good used Pedersoli is just fine as well. You might also find a used Browning BPCR with very servicable original sights on it for less than that.

Brent

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:10 am

ND Sharpsshooter
Check your PM.
This is what Dick Trenk had to say about the Uberti Sharps.

"Because Uberti does not have the technical machinery to make match grade barrels they have reached an agreement with Pedersoli whereby we supply them complete 1874 Sharps rifles of various types and models. These bear Uberti marking and only some early delivery had the Pedersoli name visible.

Uberti was obtaining the Taylor brand made for them by Armi-Sport in Italy.
This one company is the one which the mfr's association has been trying to get them to build better guns. Armi-Sport and Taylor even copy the names of some Pedersoli models so as to fool buyers who think they are getting a Pedersoli.

We advise all buyers to carefully quiz sellers as to the actual maker of such guns before buying. Get it in writing if possible.
For DP & Co.
Dick T"
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

powderburner
PostsCOLON 115
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:34 pm

Post by powderburner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:16 am

Jim ,
Along with that line from dick Trenk wasnt there something also where Pedersoli was NOT using their match grade barrels for Uberti rifles , .I saw something on it but do not know where . ......Dean
Dean Becker
Myweigh scale merchant
lover of 74 sharps
NRA lifer

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:09 pm

Powderburner,
I don't know about that, but I do know the one I have shoots as good as my Shiloh or 75 C.Sharps.
Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Looking for my first (BPCR) Rifle, I'm thinking......

Post by montana_charlie » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:02 pm

Beachcrib wroteCOLONFrom what research I have done , I am looking at Pedersoli rifles. I can't really spend more then $1600 on this rifle. So Pedersoli maybe the way to go? I'm looking at the Dixon model , it's under the 12.2 lbs rule etc. Is it a well balanced rifle, weight wise? Can I do better? I'm looking for a accurate rifle that is well made, under 12.2 lbs and and under $1600.

Best place to buy?
Beachcrib,
I have the Pedersoli Dixon model, but I like 'old fashioned looking' guns...so the military butt suits me OK.
If I was going to compete, I would go for the Pedersoli Sillhouette model, because of the shotgun butt.

For either butt style, I suggest you look at Cherry's website for good prices. The one they call the 'Sporting rifle' is just like the Dixon, without the pewter tip...and without the 'giveaway' tang sight which you would end up replacing, anyway. The price is $950.

They have the Silhouette for $1095. Take your pick...and I'm sure you'll like either one.
http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm

The money you save on the rifle purchase can go for high quality sights...and a pile of other needed 'stuff'.
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 675
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Beach crib.

For $1657.00 you can get a Shiloh, and if you take care of it you will get as much if not more back for it if you ever would want to sell it.
And it shoots just as good as a $6000 Shiloh will and the quality control is every bit as good for all of there rifles they build.
And there service and warranty is second to none.

Kurt

Sidewinder
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Colorado

Post by Sidewinder » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:31 pm

I have to agree with Kurt, if you buy any import and it turns out that you don't care for it then you loose money. Many imports shoot very well yet some don't and being new to this sport it can be hard to figure out if it's you (or your reloads) or the rifle. Have a yard sell or something and get the Shiloh you won't be be disapointed.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.

OLReliable
PostsCOLON 226
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 am
LocationCOLON Massachusetts

Post by OLReliable » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm

Like they say "Nice bike .... but, it ain't a Harley" - OLR

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm
LocationCOLON Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
CONTACTCOLON

Sharps Wanted

Post by gregg877 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:20 pm

Beachcrib,

For the budget conscious(I seem to remember writing this elsewhere) Pedersoli makes a fine gun. The Dixon is ok, but a little on the heavy side and the ones I checked out did not balance well.

The S.782 1874 Silhouette Rifle with a 32"bbl out of the box shoots very well and will accept american made tang sights from MVA. It has a pistol grip stock, Steel(not rubber) shotgun buttplate, double set triggers, and plain wood. It also weighs about 10.5lbs, which will keep you well within the BPCR limits if that is the type of shooting you are looking to get in to, as well as being flexible enough to shoot a variety of other style matches. Cherrys Fine Guns was advertising them for $1075, which will leave you plenty of leftover money for sights, reloading dies, and a bullet mould or whatever else you need. I just bought one, and while I'd love to have a Shiloh, my Pedersoli shoots every bit as good and I can have fun while I save up for a marginally higher quality and much more expensive Shiloh.

"I know it aint a Harley, thats why I'm ridin' it"

Gregg
Breath Relax Aim Stop Squeeze

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:27 pm

You would do very well to take a serious look at the CSharps 1875 sporting and target model. With the sights it will be roughly the same price as a Pedersoli, and I'ld imagine will hold it's value much longer.
Besides all that they shoot veerrry veerry well.
Absolutely no sense in buying any of the Italian rifles with the rapid availability of the CSA 75.

[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... Sharps.jpg[/img]

270 yds. not a real good day for shooting, rifle still doesn't have 100 rnds thru it.
[img][img]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/ ... target.jpg[/img][/img]

gregg877
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:09 pm
LocationCOLON Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
CONTACTCOLON

Sharps BPCR

Post by gregg877 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:48 pm

Ranch, I Don't know what planet you're shopping from, but last time I checked even a low end C. Sharps sporter without sights was still a couple hundred bucks over what my eye-talian silhouette rifle WITH an MVA Vernier and Pedersoli globe front sight cost me.

Oh, and with one o' them fangled eye-talians, there is no break in, they shoot jes fine outta the box. Mine does.

Gregg
Breath Relax Aim Stop Squeeze

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 pm

Gregg no point in you being such and ignorant ass, but you might just go take alook at the avialable list. www.csharpsarms.com
The rifle I just got was a tad over 2k with all the extra's like fancy wood etc.
I'ld really hope you reexamine you're attitude a bit.

Besides all that I've been shooting an Italian for several years, yes they're servicable, yes they can be made to shoot well, but for the money they sell for now its ABSOLUTELY SENSELESS to buy one with the super quality of the Monatana made rifles. Not to mention the CPA Stevens aren't that bad of a deal.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY