Orig 1859 Sharps Value Help!

Lowpower
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:21 am

Orig 1859 Sharps Value Help!

Post by Lowpower » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:37 pm

I hate to do it but I'm seriously thinking about selling my original 1859 Sharps Carbine. I was hoping someone might give me some help coming up with a value for it. Here's a breakdown:
It has all the patents from 1852 up to the R.S. Lawrence patent which I think was for the pellet type cap.
It was originally a carbine and used paper cartridges. Closing the breech cut the paper to expose the BP.
At some point it was converted to centerfire.
Again it was converted to .45-100.
It has an "Old Reliable" barrel that is like new. The front and rear sights are 3/4" dovetail.
It has a double set trigger with very fine adjustment for the hair trigger.
The receiver has fully patina'd.
The wood is very nice with no cracks.
It has a patch box which I use to hold globe front sight inserts as I removed the original front sight and replaced it with a windage adjustable globe.
Weight is approx 11.5 lbs.
I did shot a few rounds through it using 24 gr of H4198 behind a 540 gr round nose lead bullet. it seems to love that size bullet and shoots under 1 MOA.
I regularly shoot it 200 yds but is costly for shooting it such a short distance but I had no issues hitting 8 inch round steel.
It has a stout push using BP but I use a Past Magnum Recoil Pad so I don't notice it. If I didn't need the money I'd keep shooting it. Any ideas are greatly appreciated as I was planning on listing it on Maybe, Gunbroker.
If I can figure out how to post pics I'll do it.
Thanks
Lp

George Babits
PostsCOLON 168
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon, Idaho

Re: Orig 1859 Sharps Value Help!

Post by George Babits » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:53 pm

It would be extemely difficult to put a value on something like this without seeing it. From what you describe, it sounds like a "Meacham Sharps." These were put together after the Sharps Rifle Company folded and built in the early 1880s. The 3/4" dovetails are a bit scarey though as that is much larger than any standard size for dovetails of the time period. I'd be curious as to the type of rifling the barrel has as that is usually a key to the Meacham Sharpses. A look at the triggers also would be indicative. Nothing wrong with a Meacham Sharps. I have one in 45-70 and I really like it. Any chance you could send me some pictures as attachments?

George
Salmon, Idaho

Lowpower
PostsCOLON 4

Post by Lowpower » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:04 am

George,

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Bob

Lowpower
PostsCOLON 4

Post by Lowpower » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:30 am

George,

It's gone. The fellow I let it go to already loaded up and shot it with BP. He gave me a call on Saturday with a range report.

He tried 82, 86, 90, 92 hrs of Goex FFG. All were kinda stout loads but easily handled. He decide on 92gr for hunting and 86 for practicing.

He said all the bullets stacked right up on top of each other. at 100 and 200 yds. The real difference was the rise between 86 and 92 grs was approx 1 1/4 inch impact with the 92 going higher.

He was happy with the rifle and I was sorry to see it go. He said he was going to use it this year for deer and said he'd send me some sausage. He's going to have to be in a stand as that ole rifle weighs 11.4 lbs.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

George Babits
PostsCOLON 168
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon, Idaho

Post by George Babits » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Sounds like everyone is happy Bob, and that's what counts. Glad that I could help as well as make your acquaintence.

George

BUTTON_POST_REPLY