Uberti Sharps

Trail Boss
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 pm
LocationCOLON Pineville, LA

Uberti Sharps

Post by Trail Boss » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:30 pm

I am new to BPCR. I have just purchased a Uberti 45-70 "Down Under" model. :D It should arrive in about two weeks. :( I'm chomp'in at the bit to break it in. I was just curious about anyones opinion of Uberti and their rifles. I am also wanting to use only black powder in the rifle after I break it in and wanted any info available about the goex factory loads. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:47 pm

IMHO, factory BP loads are expensive for what you get.

The .45-2.1" (AKA .45-70) is probably one of the better BPCR calibers to learn to reload w/ BP.

Do you reload & have any casting equipment &/or experience?

There really isn't a "break in" period w/ BP & lead bullets. If you shoot White/Nitro (AKA Smokeless) & Full Metal Patched (jacketed) bullets, you need to thoroughly clean the bore of all copper fouling. Otherwise the copper fouling will attract lead & the rifle will start to lead up.

Below links might be helpful:

http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Intr ... oading.pdf

http://www.longrangebpcr.com/

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5350
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

Trail Boss
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:12 pm
LocationCOLON Pineville, LA

Post by Trail Boss » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:22 pm

Thanks for your reply Ray. I was considering breaking the barrel in with copper jacketed nitro per the insructions on the badger barrel site. I know that the Italian guns are proofed by the govt. over there but I would rather be safe than sorry. It couldn't hurt. I have not reloaded before but I have many relatives who do and have been reading up on it. I am a little concerned about carrying BP around in my fifth wheel (house) to all you land lubbers. :lol: Don't want to blow up the wife you know.

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:37 pm

"I am a little concerned about carrying BP around in my fifth wheel"

Does your 5th wheel trailer have propane & the truck gas or diesel fuel?
All 3 are highly flammable & will explode if it gets hot enough....
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

bchboy1206@aol.com
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:32 pm

Post by bchboy1206@aol.com » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Congrats on your "Down Under". I had a horrible experience with my Uberti and I would never recommend someone to get one. I took 9 shots sighting it in and it broke. It is getting fixed as we speak.

On the bright side the "Sharps" styled rifles that Uberti distributes are actually Pedersolis with the awesome broached barrels, this is from the link: viewtopic.php?t=188&highlight=sharps+game

"Gentlemen:
On another board (BP-L) someone posted that they examined a brand new Sharps 1874 model made by Uberti and purchased new from a Uberti dealer.

Please be advised..... Pedersoli is manufacturing Sharps 1874 models for Uberti to sell through their many dealers.
These rifles may have the Uberti name shown on the frame or barrel top, but on the barrel bottom under the forearm perhaps, you will see the mfrs. name Pedersoli.

This arrangement suits Pedersoli who gains some extra sales during these very difficult times for all BPCR mfrs.
It also benefits Uberti who has not been able to make match grade barrels using their own equipment and now provides a way for them to add the superbly accurate Sharps to their own product line.
Dick T. "

I think your going to love it.

Treegunner

"

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:57 am

We just received a Uberti version of the Quigley yesterday. 34" 45/70,Heavy barrel. wood to metal fit good, rather palin wood with a little figure. Good colors in the case hardening. I will remove the forearm today and check for Pedersoli markings. Our price is $1550.00 which is slightly below MSRP would lead me to spend a few $ more for either of the Big Timber Sharps.
Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Treegunner
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 pm
LocationCOLON Central Ga. and So Cal

Post by Treegunner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:51 am

Hey Jim, Congrats on your new addition.

So is she a good looking rifle overall? I would love to see some good pics if you can because with the pics I have seen it's hard to tell what they really look like.

Thanks and enjoy.
Treegunner

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:45 pm

Treegunner,
Thanks, but the rifle is store property, not mine. Looks pretty good overall. I pulled the forearm off and there were no markings to indicate any manufacturer other than Uberti. Correction on the nose cap. It is one piece held on by a screw from underneath. The hole was drilled all the way through and made it look like it was pinned on. This is probably the biggest detractor for the gun other than a saddle ring bar with no ring on a military buttstocked 34" barreled rifle.
I would not buyit for that price when for a couple hundred more I could get a Shiloh.

Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Treegunner
PostsCOLON 35
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:19 pm
LocationCOLON Central Ga. and So Cal

Post by Treegunner » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks for the info Jim, I do have my heart set on the Shiloh but it will cost me about $2700.00, I must have all the goodies they offer, well almost. That gun will be the Pinnacle of my arsonal.
At least until that time comes I have a High Wall to satiate my desires...

Take care.
Treegunner

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun May 14, 2006 9:59 pm

[quote="Jim Milner"]
I would not buyit for that price when for a couple hundred more I could get a Shiloh.

Jim[/quote]
Jim,
For a couple hundred more, you could buy 'a Shiloh', but if you want to compare 'model for model'...a Shiloh Quigley would cost you double the price of the Uberti (Pedersoli).
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm
LocationCOLON Alabama

My Pedersoli Sharps

Post by Pistolero » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 am

Hello all,
I just thought I would toss in my two pennies: Last year I drove up to Dixie Gunworks and bought me a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in .45-70 with a full Octagon barrel. I think it is their "Lightweight Sporter" model, but it is anythign but lightweight. If you go to Pedersoli's website and look at their 1874 Sharps, mine is more or less identicle to the "S.780 1874 Sharps Sporting Standard", but mine has no checkering.

Anyway, while I would love to have a Shiloh or C.Sharps, I just can't afford them. Tax and all I paid around 1300.00 for mine. But I reckoin if you figure about a $100.00 for gas, $50.00 for a room, I really paid that much more. But I enjoyed the drive on my off day, and I am the type who likes to handle and check things out before I buy them. Mine is a beautiful rifle and I am perfectly satisfied with it. The blueing and color case hardening is beautiful, wood to metal fit is perfect, the wood finish is just like I like it, etc.. I can't imagine another rifle, Shiloh or anything else, being any nicer than my Pedersoli!
Just wanted to toss that in about my Pedersoli.
Pistolero
Alabama
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing!

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:57 pm

For what it is worth, I have Uberti and Pedersoli 1874's they both shoot as well as a Shiloh. I have had C Sharps 1874 and currently their HiWall. I cannot say with certainty that any one manufacturer shoots any better that the other. Prbably has something to do with the nut on the trigger.
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:57 pm

For what it is worth, I have Uberti and Pedersoli 1874's they both shoot as well as a Shiloh. I have had C Sharps 1874 and currently their HiWall. I cannot say with certainty that any one manufacturer shoots any better that the other. Prbably has something to do with the nut on the trigger.
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello Jim,
Yep, it is a fine shooter. At a hundred yards using a shaky makeshift rest it shoots a 5 round group about as big as my fist. I bet if I got me a sho'nuff good rest it would put them in there closer.
Pistolero
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY