Sharps Hankin - the different Sharps

VinceZ
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 am

Sharps Hankin - the different Sharps

Post by VinceZ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Folks - just purchased a Sharps Hankin at a Pa Gun Show. Gun is a low serial number (261X) with the partial leather cover screws in place. .52 cal, sliding 24 in barrel, rim fire. I would love to shoot this thing (my one condition in buying an antique gun is that I fire it at least once) or use it for Civil War reenacting - the gun is solid and in very good condition. Would appreciate any words from any of you folks out there on this gun - getting ammo, making blanks, anything! I've done the web searches and found some info but look to you all for any practical advice. I really don't want to convert it to center fire yet recognize I might have to.

Thanks for anything
Vince Z

Bad Ass Wallace
PostsCOLON 157
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:47 am
LocationCOLON Australia

Re: Sharps Hankin - the different Sharps

Post by Bad Ass Wallace » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 am

I've seen a 44 rimfire shoot BP loads. Brass cartridge blanks are turned then counterbored with an offset chamber to take a 22 short case so that the whole thing still fires on the rim of the .22case
Hold Still Varmint; while I Plugs Yer!

NickSS
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:30 pm

Re: Sharps Hankin - the different Sharps

Post by NickSS » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Yor DSharps and hankins is one made for the Navy During the civil War. I believe is was designed to take the 56-56 Spencer cartridge and the last time I had a Dixie gun works cataloge they sold brass shells that took a 22 shot case that could be reloaded and fired. You might check with them and see if they still have them.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY