Sharp's letter?

VinceZ
PostsCOLON 25
JoinedCOLON Thu May 07, 2009 8:06 am

Sharp's letter?

Post by VinceZ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Is it still possible to get a verification letter for an old Sharps? I've noticed a few guns for sale with letters that don't look like they come from the 19th Century? Is there somebody out there with the old records who does the serial number searches and validates the old guns?

Thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1742
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Sharp's letter?

Post by Brent » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:31 am

Yes, there is a guy that has the Sharps records and will look up a rifle and "letter" it for a fee. I don't recall his name but he seems to have a reputation as being less than pleasant (or cheap)

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Harry Eales
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:17 pm
LocationCOLON North Durham. England

Post by Harry Eales » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 am

The Sharps Rifle Company records do exist and are in the possession of a Dr. Labowski. Only the Borchardt 1878 Rifle records are fragmentary. There is a fee of I believe some US$ 200.00 to have your rifle 'lettered' but I understand he will pass the info to you by phone free gratis. Have a notepad and pencil by your phone.

I lost Dr Labowski's address in a computer crash, but I'm sure someone on this Forum will have it. If you have a rare Sharps then lettering it will add to it's value, if it's a common model then you may not get back your financial outlay if you sell it. Your local Library may have a copy of Frank Sellers book Sharps Firearms, from which you can identify your rifle or carbine, it also gives production numbers for each model.

A google search produced this phone number for Dr. Richard Labowski. (215) 748 1376. As Brent says, he can be a tad 'tetchy'.

Good luck

Harry

VinceZ
PostsCOLON 25

Re: Sharp's letter - the follow-up

Post by VinceZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:34 am

Got a call back from the good Dr re my Sharps - seems it is a Meacham. He doesn't have those records, just that the gun was sent to them (he dated the gun by serial number to '63). I must say I am a little disappointed but the gun shoots so beautifully, both PP and .451 GG, that I am not that discouraged (about not having a "true" Sharps"..).

Questions for any of you Sharps shooters out there - now that I know she is a Meacham, do I go ahead and drill the tang for mid-range sights? I am really gearing this all up for NRA BPCR. Drilling the tang will, of course, obscure the serial number but am not sure that this totally damage the gun as a historical piece. What is kinda neat is that in the Sellar's book, he has a page from an 1884 Meacham catalogue that lists a "28" Business rifle" in 45/70 with double set triggers - my gun! So, I guess the big question is to modify this or not. I would apprciate any thoughts anyone has. And, buying a Shiloh or C Sharps is sort of an option but .....well, we know where this is going (esp. if you are married....)

Thanks

DRCook
PostsCOLON 473
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:45 am

What do you mean that you don't have a "true" Sharps ? Meacham was a distributor out in the West that recieved Sharps and some of them were modified by their gunsmiths into Buffalo guns, some were assembled from parts, but still were "true" Sharps. Some / all of these carry considerable value.

that drill bit could wipe out thousands of dollars worth of value

here is one for $9750.00

http://www.moreau.com/item--SHARPS-MEAC ... SH324.html

here is one at Cabelas, a meesly $4000.00

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sharps ... 60C979D7BE

another $4000.00 one

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Sharps ... =100061643

here is one with a rough bore, only $3999.99

http://www.cabelas.com/gun-inventory--- ... 5-kc.shtml

You should get the gun professionally appraised before starting any drilling or modification that possibly could cause you to lose significant monetary value on your rifle. A junker is one thing to modify, but you might have something that would become a family heirloom, etc.

Just my opinion
dc
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

bill hamlich
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 am

Post by bill hamlich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:29 am

I concur with DRCook.

I wouldn't drill it, until further investigation....even then I'd be hesitant to drill\modify at all.

I'd see about buying another.

Just my opinion

VinceZ
PostsCOLON 25

Post by VinceZ » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Thank you, gentlermen. You are right. She is a Meacham but she is a Sharps. And she shoots like a Sharps. The gun stays intact - I will continue to have fun with her and her 1869 sights. Time to start saving the pennies for another (you know, I promised the wife this would be my last gun.....she asked me if we should update our life insurance since if this was last gun, she thought I was going to die soon. They do catch on, don't they...)

Thanks again.

bill hamlich
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:29 am

Post by bill hamlich » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:31 pm

(you know, I promised the wife this would be my last gun.....she asked me if we should update our life insurance since if this was last gun, she thought I was going to die soon. They do catch on, don't they...)
That's funny!

:lol:

Brent
PostsCOLON 1742
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:37 pm

Well, good to know you are not planning on a premature expiration. But, if you intend to still be the owner of this rifle at that time, in the far off future, and if you really think it is accurate and sturdy enough to hold up to competition demands, then, and only then, if it were mine, I'd drill it.

Suppose that this rifle was drilled by the guy that originally bought it before he headed out to whack and stack hides. Would you devalue the rifle because of that? I would not. This rifle is not yet any more dead than you are. So, let her run if she can.

Just the other side of the coin...

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY