Glove sights

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm
LocationCOLON Alabama

Glove sights

Post by Pistolero » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm

Hello all,
Do y'all like globe or tunnel front sights? After shooting a couple of days ago in the bright sunshine with the sun in my face, I realize now I will have to get me a globe or tunnel front sight. That is why I like German WWII mausers. I love that hooded front sight. It is hard to aim with glare shining on that front sight.
Pistolero
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing!

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:41 pm

It is hard to aim with glare shining on that front sight.
Pistolero - so what your saying is 'Sun Get's in My Eyes' ( in the key of C ) and you hit the target 1 1/2 feet low ... post on multiple sites about filing the fronts sight and you want to dump the rifle for a 50-90 because you can't hit the X ring at 100yds? Friend, the issue isn't the rifle ... it the guy pulling the trigger!
You might want to hang onto your 45-70, get it fitted with proper sights, spend some serious range time and you might find out ... It's the Love of Your Life! :lol:

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm
LocationCOLON Alabama

Globe sights

Post by Pistolero » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:17 am

Hello John Boy,
Yep, I enjoy posting on various forums. I love discussion forums and hearing people's experiences, opinions, etc.. And actually me and my buddy had a blast that day shooting. Later in the afternoon that day we were shooting, as the sun changed position a bit, the glare on the sights was not that bad atall, and the groups were still hitting in that low spot. I was merely commenting on how globe or hooded front sights can keep glare and sunshine from bothering you.

You are right, that Sharps .45-70 is a joy to shoot. I love it and it is so sleek and sweet, functions flawlessly! The only reason I have thought of getting the .50-100 is because I read those Louis Lamour westers and the Sharps "Big Fifty" is mentioned in those stories and I have become curious and intrigued by such a piece of history. But as far as my shooing experience and abilities go, I have been shooting all my life and am known as a good shot. In the early '70s I made expert and got a trophy in the Army for being the highest shot out of my unit, and made expert in the Marines and had the highest score in my platoon of 84 at Paris Island (with the M-16A1). I can shoot. I was just commenting on the sun's glare on the sights.

But I can tell you one thing, my right shoulder is sore, and that is unusual. Not only did I shoot a 20 rnd box of 45-70s loaded with 70 grns of Pryodex, but I shot several rounds from my buddy's 6.5 Swedish Mauser and his Smidt-Rueben. My Sharps has that curved metal butt plate where the ends are like points almost (it is Pedersoli's Lightweight Sporter" although it is anything but lightweight). A couple of times after I had clicked that double set trigger and was settling in with my shot, it went off as I laid my finger on the trigger, before I was quite ready! Man, one of those "points" of the butt plate was right against my shoulder. It went off before I got my buttplate against my shoulder just right. I love double set triggers, but if you have them set too fine, you sho' have to watch them.
Later,
Pistolero
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY