Firing pin (is it really a problem)

duke76
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:52 am
LocationCOLON nw IA

Firing pin (is it really a problem)

Post by duke76 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:52 pm

A while back I aquired a Pedersoli Sharps Competition 45-70 with a 34 inch barrell and I was talking to one of the guys that had some rifles at a gun show and was talking to him because he had some brass, anyway he told me that the Sharps rifles had problems with breaking firing pins and that I better order a couple to have on hand. My question have any of you fellas experienced this if so after how many shots? should I be concerned and how hard is it to replace? Where do I get rplacement firing pins and does anyone have a procedure or link for replacement. As always Thanks guys for your answers Todd

Brent
PostsCOLON 1742
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:25 pm

I've broken exactly one in 12-14 years so far. It as a fat Shiloh pin.

Get an extra, but one should do. I think the guy was talking over his head personally.

Brent

Sidewinder
PostsCOLON 56
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:23 am
LocationCOLON Colorado

Post by Sidewinder » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:28 am

My Shilohs have the large firing pin on one and the small two piece pin on the other. The older rifle with the large one was made in 1978 as a prototype by Shiloh and is still intact. The small one hasn't broke with about 5000 shots so far. Either would be easy to replace by removeing the breech block then pushing the gas plate to the left with a brass punch and maybe a light hammer. Check that the new pin moves freely then replce the gas plate. Sorry I haven't any experiance with the imports.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:17 am

The Pedersoli Sharps uses the same type of transfer bar and small, separate pin that is used in Shiloh rifles. Because the two parts are already separate from each other, the chance of breakage is much reduced from the old original design.

Dry firing is tough on ANY firing pin. (Just thought I'd mention that.)
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

duke76
PostsCOLON 37
LocationCOLON nw IA

Post by duke76 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:23 pm

Good, hopefully I wont need one, I may still try to find one because if I have on on hand I for sure wont need it, where is a good place to get one and does anyone have any instructions on replacing it if I had to. Thanks Todd

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:21 pm

duke76 wroteCOLONwhere is a good place to get one
Dixie Gun Works http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... 00cc99c205
does anyone have any instructions on replacing it if I had to.
I assume you already know how to remove the breechblock.
Looking at the rear of the breechblock, you will see a long, narrow plate set in a dovetailed slot.
Push the plate to the left, sliding it out of the dovetail, and exposing the cavity the firing pin and spring are in.

Catch the pin as the spring pops it up toward your face...and (if you can) catch the spring, too.

The whole job takes about a minute...if you don't have to search the grass for that damned spring.
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:37 pm

My question have any of you fellas experienced this if so after how many shots?
After maybe 1000 rounds, had one break when I was on a one week shooting trip at a range. Just pointed the muzzle verticle and eased it done and pulled the trigger - Boom.
should I be concerned and how hard is it to replace?
Easy
Where do I get rplacement firing pins and does anyone have a procedure or link for replacement.
VTI Replica Gunparts

After Raton, last year, Dick Trenk had spare parts kits selling for 50% off - great deal and they went fast. Call Lisa at VTI - believe they carry the spare parts kit but it is not on their website

duke76
PostsCOLON 37
LocationCOLON nw IA

Post by duke76 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm

THANKS GUYS!!! You fellas are great, That is exactly what I needed, Todd

Shad
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 pm

Re: Firing pin (is it really a problem)

Post by Shad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:58 am

Isn't this why you're not supposed to open the action on a Sharps rifle without first drawing the hammer back to the half-cock position, so that the firing pin isn't being "dragged" out of its indent in the primer and across the case head? That's the way I was taught anyway. I own a Pedersoli Sharps I've had for nearly ten yrs. now and have never had a firing pin break on it yet. I do keep a spare though, just in case.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY