Finally did some serious shooting with my Pedersoli Sharps.

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:54 pm
LocationCOLON Alabama

Finally did some serious shooting with my Pedersoli Sharps.

Post by Pistolero » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:17 pm

Hello all,
As I mentioned a few weeks ago I had gotten me a Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70 with a 30" Oct bl. Today I finally got to do some serious shooting at a 100 yard range with some good concrete stations, benches, etc.. I shot up my store bought shells so I can reload the empties with BP. So these results are with store bought shells with smokeless powder. I can't wait until I can reload them with BP.

Anyway, I shot at one of those "sigting-in" targets with the big orange "+" sign with the diamond in the center at 100 yards. My first group of seven rounds was about the size of my fist about at 7 O'clock, with one round in the orange edge of the diamond and one an inch or two outside of that group about 7 O'clock again. I tapped my sight over a tad and my second group hit about 4 to right of the diamond a few inches. The third group hit a little closer to center. I tapped my sight a hair more and brought the last group dead center. But it was still about three inches below the diamond. I was aiming with iron sights at bottom of the diamond, or actually with just a splotch of orange above my front sight. Was I aiming too low? Or should I file my front sight a tiny bit?

When I got home last night I began to reload my shells. To my aggrevation I was out of BP and only had some smokeless and Pyrodex. So next payday I will get me some BP. But I went ahead and reloaded the shells, 54 of them, with the Pyrodex. I will shoot them up next time and by then I will have BP on hand to reload them with it.
Just thought I would share my first real shooting experience with my Sharps.
Take care,
Pistolero
Alabama
What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie?
The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing!

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:25 pm

There's really no set rules as to what sight picture and hold you should use. So I'ld suggest if you want to keep using the 6 oclock hold and want the bullets to impact higher, then very carefully and very slowly file your front sight down a bit, and shoot, and keep doing that until you've got the bullets hitting where you want them.
I'ld also caution that maybe not filing the front sight until you determine what load you're going to be shooting most of the time,as different weight bullets at different velocities will have different impact points, so when you figure out which load you'll be using most best leave things alone, or get a good tang sight with vernier markings that you can write down and reference during future shooting sessions.

Jim Milner
PostsCOLON 260
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:43 am
LocationCOLON Pacific Nothwet

Post by Jim Milner » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:51 pm

You can calculate how much to file off your front sight or raise your rear sight. The formulae is:
Sight radius divided by inches to target.
ExaMPLE: 38" sight radius divided by 36000 ( number of inches in 1000 yds) = 0.00105 of 10-1/2 thousandths of an inch.
By removing 0.00105 per inch you would raise your point of impact 1"
If you were shooting at 1000 yds with a 100 yard zero, and you wanted to compensate for a 1659" bullet drop,...
38" divided by 36000 = 0.00105"
1659 x 0.00105" = 1.714" above the 100 yard setting.
Just substitute youe sight radius.

For calculating minutes of angle:
sight radius x 2 = Diameter
Diameter x 3.1417 - circumference
Circumference divided by 360 = degree
Degree divided by 60 = anount of sight movement per minute of ANGLE

Example:
38 x 2 = 76"
76" x 3,1417 = 238.7692
238,7692 divided by 360 = 0.663
0.663 divided by 60 = 0.011 inch sight movement per minute of angle.

I hope this helps.
Jim
LIMBSAVER® BPCR TEAM
You are only as good as your last performance

C.Sharps Hiwall 40-65

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Pistolero ... still recommend "+ 3 ... leave them files in the tool chest"
Once you decide on a recipe that suits you, then time to consider the file. And in the meantime, you may choose to go to a front globe with a rear vernier ... which is the way to fit out your new Sharps

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Hello all,
Thanks for the advice and all. It hits a few inches below point of aim. I was aiming with the top of the front blade even with the top of that tiny notch in the rear site. I could not see that rear site very well, it is such a tiny notch and me with glasses, bad eyes, 52 yrs old, etc.. The small diamond, 3 or 4 " tall, was just a small orange blur at the top of my front sight at 100 yards.

But as far as the front sight filing, I have no plans for that any time soon. As you said I want to try different loads, powders, etc., before I do something like that. I do know that although I might occasionally shoot store bought shells, either 405 grns solids or 300 hps, I will usually be shooting my own loads. I mold my own 405 grn bullets with a mold and smelter. As I said, I have to go through the Pyrodex I have on hand, then the Pioneer, then BP that I have to get. Once I am done with tghe first two, I will stick with BP because I want to shoot that Sharps, an 1874 Sharps, with the type of load it is intended for. I just loaded 54 shells with 70 grains of prydex and the 405 grain bullets. I can't wait until I shoot them.

Anyway, either front or rear sight is adjustable for left to right by simply tapping it over in their dovetails, but not elevation other than the ladder sight. But that ladder sight is set in increments of 100 yards out to 900. So when I have it set on the 100 yard one (ladder laying down), it irritates me when the bullets hit below my point of aim. Anyway, I am going to buy me some BP my next paycheck. What should you shoot in a .45-70, FFG or FFFG?

As far as filing the front sight down goes, the reason I thought of filing the front sight was what I had to do with my Uberti 1860 Henry Rifle. It is in .45 Colt and has a ladder sight with a slide similer to the Sharps. It hit like eight to ten inches below point of aim at 100 yards. It was dead on as far as left to right goes. It had a real tall front sight blade and I would fire three rounds, check target, file sight a few licks. I did this until I had walked my groups up to a bit above point of aim. Now it is deadly at 100 yards, hitting a few inches above point of aim and should drop on in there at 150-200. I have no place to go shoot any further than that. I do have a buddy that has some land but I have to get up with him about shooting out there again. He has a spot where I might get three-four hundred yards out of it. I don't hope to be a tack driver or pin point accurate. But I do want to be able to be accurate enough to kill efficiently with it while hunting.
Anyway, thanks again for the advice y'all,
Pistolero
Alabama

DML
PostsCOLON 254
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm
LocationCOLON Aridzona

Post by DML » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm

If I were you, I would definitely consider an aperture rear sight. I am 14 years older then you and my eyesight isn’t that good either, but I was very surprised at how well I can shoot with the sights on my Browning BPCR. I have to use the largest aperture, but it works very well. Besides that, the Soule type sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.
“It is almost impossible to exaggerate the complete unimportance of almost everything.”

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Now my hammer won't stay put!!!

Post by Pistolero » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Hello all,
I love this rifle. It is so sleek and beautiful and feels so good in my hand. The wood to metal fit is perfect, color case-hardening is superb and beautiful, it is sweet to shoot and accurate. As far as sights go, eventually I plan on getting me some good tang sights for it and a matching globe front sight. Pedersoli makes sets for their rifles, although they are a pretty penny. Ii would like to get a set from them since theirs are made for their rifles, which mine is.

But Y'all ain't going to believe this!!! I was just messing around with the rifle, you know, handling it, admiring it, loving on it, oiling and wiping it down, etc... Well, I cocked it and was working the action and what have you. I let the trigger guard back up putting the block back in place and was just sort of feeling of the firing pin and the hammer slammed down on my fingertip. I cocked it and just pushed a tiny bit on the back of it and it slammed down again. I did it several times and this happened each time. So I reckon now my hammer keeper or whatever you call it is messed up. Naturally!!

I have only had it a few weeks and only fired it fourty times (two boxes of ammo). While I never pushed on the back of the hammer before, that has not happened before, even with shooting it or all the handling. Today a friend of my sons asked to look at it and of course he dry fired it. I don't suppose that hurt it. Then it was lying on my coffee table and with the boys and their friends bungling around the living room, horseplaing, etc., someone knocked if off and it fell across a plastic clothes basket, not the floorr. So I don't suppose that could have caused it either.

What do y'all think? Do you reckon it was like that all along and I just never bumped the hammer the right way to make it slip or what? Or do you reckon it might be that double set trigger thing? It came set, right out of the box, to where when you set that back trigger then all you have to do is touch that front trigger and it fires. Do you reckon that is it, set too lightly or something? If so, which direction do you turn the little tiny screw to adjust it to where it is not such a hair trigger. Maybe that is it? I am disturbed about this. I drove from Montgomery, Al to Union City, Tenn to DGW to get that rifle and paid, tax and all around $1,200.00-$1300,00 (and they would not even throw in a catolog!), not to mention gas money for a truck that gets around 14 mpg in the city, got a motel room, etc.. So all that together, this rifle cost me about $1700.00 bucks! And now this?!? Just my luck I reckon!

What worries me is that I can't find my reciept or paperwork form it. I did fill out that warrenty card, or whatever it was, and send it back to DGW. I reckon I will call them tomorrow.

Anyway thoughts or advice would be welcome!
Thanks,
Pistolero
Alabama

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:09 pm

Get the owners manual out and check the proceedure for adjusting the set triggers. Sounds like one of the screws has backed out and won't let the sear engage the tumbler in the lock.
Keep an eye on it, and if it happens again best to loctite those screws in place.

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:29 am

Hello Ranch, I just posted your reponse on the other forum. Again, thanks. I will try that and see how it works out.
Take care,
"P"

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Hello Ranch13,
I tried everyway you could adjust that screw, even took it out. Nothing helped. I took the side plate off and saw no loose screws, etc..
when off of the gun like that the hammer works just fine if you pull it back a bit until it clicks better. But when mounted on the rifle the only way it will stay back is when you pull the back trigger until it clicks, then cock it. Otherwise the hammer falls with the slightest pressure from behind. I have lost my reciept and owers' manual so I am not sure if I can send it back if I wanted to. I did fill out some sort of card they had with it and sent it back to DGW.
Pistolero
Alabama

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Theres a small screw with no head behind the rear trigger. If that screw backs out just a bit you'll have the problems you describe. Adjust that screw an 1/4 turn at a time until the hammer stays put.
The screw between the triggers only adjusts the let off on the front trigger.

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:01 pm

Hello Ranch13,
I tried what you said and adjusted that little screw behind the back trigger (where the end of the block lever/trigger guard touches down. I figured I'd try that before anything else, taking the lockplate off, etc.. That seemed to do the trick. I have cocked it several times and pushed with consdiderable force and the hammer stayed locked in the cocked position. I also cocked it and used the double set trigger to fire it and then cocked it and used the regular trigger witout using the rear one to set it. All works as it should! You don't know how much I appreciate your advice and help!! I'm so happy and glad I did not have to send my rifle off or what have you, I feel like a cat sh-tting in high grass!! I was not even sure what that little screw was. I thought it was just to hold down the trigger plate or something.

Now, my next adventure will be to see how it fires those rounds of pyrodex I loaded up for it. When I run out of Pyrodex, I will use up my Pioneer, and then get me some real BP and try that. I am curious as to see what shoots the best. I am keeping a tally book on it. So far, I know how it shoots store bought modern 405 grn jacketed bullets. Next will be the 405 grn lead bullets that I loaded with Prodex. I have a box of store bought 300 grn Jacketed HPs that I have not tried yet either.

What sort of rifle do you have? A Sharps? What do you shoot in it, modern or BP? Just curiousl. A buddy of mine's dad died and left him a Rem Rolling Block Long-range Creedmore Rifle. I think it is an Uberti. He is excited about shooting it too.
Anyway, thanks again pard,
Pistolero
Alabama

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1595
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:16 pm

Glad to of been of some help. :) Keep a close eye on that thing and if it backs out on you again a bit of blue loctite will keep it in place.

I have 2 45-70's one is an Italian copy of the 74 sharps, the other is an1875 model sharps from C Sharps.
We also have two rolling blocks one is a 4065 built on a Dane action, and the other is a 43 Egyptian.
Mostly use Goex black powder in them, do from time to time stray abit down the wrong path and shoot some loads with 5744. Except for the Egyptian and out of respect for its age have never loaded anything but black in it.
You may want to venture into some 500 or heavier bullets in that rifle.

russ4570
PostsCOLON 33
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:53 pm
LocationCOLON north queensland

trigger adjustment

Post by russ4570 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:39 pm

P
Try this document as well(for future reference), it can be found under the technical documents link on the home page.

http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_s ... stment.htm

Regrads russ4570.

Pistolero
PostsCOLON 47
LocationCOLON Alabama

Post by Pistolero » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Dang I get sick of having to re-log in every siingle time I come back to this forum.

Anyway, thanks guys. I printed that article about the double set triggers and safties off.
Thanks again,
Pistolero

BUTTON_POST_REPLY