IAB Sharps

fender57vneck
PostsCOLON 15
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:58 pm
LocationCOLON Post Falls Idaho

IAB Sharps

Post by fender57vneck » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:37 pm

I was reading in another forum about the great performance from IAB Sharps. Does anyone here have any reviews on these rifles?

13Echo
PostsCOLON 78
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:00 pm
LocationCOLON Monroe, Louisiana

Post by 13Echo » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:35 am

I've read more negative posts than positive about the IAB rifles. Some joke that IAB is an acronym for "It's Always Broke". Having said that I must admit I've never even handled, much less shot one. Pedersoli seems to be the cream of the spaghetti Sharps and are really very well made and very accurate.

Jerry Liles

fender57vneck
PostsCOLON 15

Post by fender57vneck » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:41 pm

The forum were I read the favorable reviews was CAS, not BPCR.

buffshooter
PostsCOLON 273
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:54 pm
LocationCOLON out west, well, of London anyways

spagetti sharps

Post by buffshooter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:21 pm

Fender: If I were you I'd go fer the Pedersoli or the Uberti out of all the Italian makes. I think Uberti has the edge on finish and fit, less varnish and coloration on the metal parts, just good case hardening. I have no experience of the IAB, and neither does it seem anybody else here, and that should tell you something :D

Accuracy wise, which is the most important, a Pedersoli will stay with the likes of Shiloh in competition, it all comes down to the 'nut behind the butt'.

Ya pays ya money .......

But, you only get what you pay for :shock:

Also, ya buy cheap, ya get cheap :lol: :lol:
Iffen it ain't broke, don't fix it

fender57vneck
PostsCOLON 15

Post by fender57vneck » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:29 am

I e-mailed IAB for information on their rifles expecting no reply. To my surprize, I recieved a prompt response from Mr. Mauro Pedretti in Italy. Mr. Pedretti informed me about the processes involved in the manufacture of his product, and after this, invited me to purchase one of his rifles, shoot it, and give him feed-back. He told me, he was confident I would be pleased with the quality of his Sharps. According to Mr. Pedretti, the barrels are broach rifled, lapped and polished, the finish is up to par or better than other Italian makers, and the parts are heat treated. Considering his reply to show class and profesionalism, I purchased one from Tri Star. IMO, fit and finish is up to par with Pedersoli. Rifling looks very well done, and has a twist of 1:18. Action feels very sturdy. Shot many boxes of ammo through it without any problems, and proved quite accurate at 100 yds. Let off after setting the trigger was very light. So far, I am very pleased, and I look forward to work up some BP loads for it.

MLR
PostsCOLON 118
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 pm
LocationCOLON Okla, U.S.A.

Post by MLR » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Fender:

I hope you keep everyone posted about your new rifle. I have only heard stories from guys who knew guys who had friends that had IAB's.
We all know how that goes. I remember in the late 60's some gunmakers that had bad reputations. Now many folks think they make fine firearms. things do change.
And we all know about many fine firearms makers of the past that have sold their names and are now low quality arms makers.

That said I own a Perersoli sharps, an original rolling block and have a Shiloh Sharps on order. But I would like to know about the quality of your new rifle. A little knowledge cant hurt me.
Id like to know about the accuracy and reliability. does it hold up to regular use? Stuff like that.

Michael

fender57vneck
PostsCOLON 15

Post by fender57vneck » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:47 pm

I plan on shooting my rifle extensively, I will keep you posted.

ND Sharpshooter
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:37 pm
LocationCOLON Devils Lake, ND

Post by ND Sharpshooter » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 am

I can support what Fender57vneck said about the IAB Sharps. Also, if there's anything wrong with one of their products, they replace it.
"Never said I didn't know how to use one."

DRCook
PostsCOLON 473
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:49 am

they need to replace that big old ugly hammer.

I have Shiloh's and a Pedersoli. The Pedersoli is about 3/4's up to the fit and finish of a Shiloh. With the correct load, they should shoot equally well.

usually you can get really good prices on Pedersoli's at Dixie, or Cherrys

my vote is if you are not in a position for a Shiloh, get a Pedersoli

dc

maco54
PostsCOLON 7
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:49 am
LocationCOLON southern indiana

IAB sharps

Post by maco54 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:02 am

:D I had an IAB 45-70 sharps business rifle until about a year ago, the rifle was quite accurate with smokeless loads out to 200 yards. Never had any problems with it. It had the 29" light round barrel. Sold it to buy a blackpowder shotgun for bird hunting.
reach out and touch something, long distance is best

fender57vneck
PostsCOLON 15

Post by fender57vneck » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:31 am

Why would I want to pay more for a Pedersoli, if I like the way my IAB looks and works? Just for a name? The hammer is the same one Sharps conversions used when they went from percussion, to cartridge. I used to own Harleys (just for the name). Paid $120.00 every time a belt broke, $150.00 every time I needed an air filter. These parts said "Harley" on them. They also rode like trucks. I now ride a Yamaha sports bike, rides like a Porsche, doesn't foul plugs, never breaks down. I refuse to buy something only for a "name".

CIMMARONKID
PostsCOLON 12
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:05 pm
LocationCOLON glendale, az

Post by CIMMARONKID » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:58 pm

I have a TriStar Sharps in 45-70 that I have about 1000 rounds through and find it quite accurate and well made with better than average fit and finish. I just wish that IAB made a pistol grip/shotgun butt stock for their gun as they would make an excellent entry level gun because the price is right for what you get. Just get a good set of sights.
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance" last words of Union General Sedgwick before a Confederate sniper killed him with a head shot.

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Buying?

Post by RMulhern » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:40 pm

Everytime I thought I had found a 'deal' and bought cheap.....it cost me DOUBLE!! :? :shock: :cry:

SharpsShooter
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:57 pm
LocationCOLON West Virginia

Post by SharpsShooter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:50 pm

My first Sharps was an IAB. I hope they have improved greatly with regard to their metalurgy and barrel finish. The bore looked like they had rifled it with a file for a cutter leaving very visible tool marks the entire length. I hand lapped it the first winter I owned it and it did show some promise accuracy-wise, but the lock disentigrated before I had fired the 100th round. Needless to say it went away and was replaced with a C.Sharps. Maybe they are better now, but I wouldn't risk my hard earned wages on one.

SS
Whatdaya mean.........there's other calibers beside the 45-70???

willdixon
PostsCOLON 36
JoinedCOLON Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:09 pm
LocationCOLON Mayo, Florida
CONTACTCOLON

QUALITY OF ARMI SHARPS RIFLES AND IAB SHARPS RIFLE KITS?

Post by willdixon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 pm

As long as we're in this arena, I wonder if any of you own or otherwise can provide me with first-hand information about the quality of the ARMI SHARPS rifles?

I'm THINKING about buying their "Quigley" in a 50/90, for the simple reason they're some $500 less than the Pedersoli, yet their fit and finish - IN THE PHOTOGRAPHS - LOOK every bit as nice as the Pedersoli.

CAN ANY ONE TELL ME FIRST HAND ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE ARMI SHARPS RIFLES?

AND DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FIRST-HAND INFORMATION ON THE QUALITY OF THE SHARPS RIFLE KITS FOR SALE BY IAB?

It's a bit confusing: It looks to me as though IAB makes ARMI rifles, or vice versa, and there is obviously some sort of "arrangement" between Pedersoli, ARMI, IAB and UBERTI.

Thank you very much!
Gene Neill
Mayo, Florida

BUTTON_POST_REPLY