Stock shape for Creedmoor Roller

Keith
PostsCOLON 52
JoinedCOLON Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Stock shape for Creedmoor Roller

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:08 am

Looking at this photo of an original Creedmoor target rifle one can see the line of the comb of the butt stock is below the line of the lower edge of the fore end.
This would allow the tang sight to lie flat without damage to the stock and also allow wiping with a stiff rod.
Today the trend seems to be higher combs and flexible rods.
If the D.O.G. ,s got a cheek weld with a stock that shape why do we have to go for higher stocks.
Did they use cheek pads or what?

Keith

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Re: Stock shape for Creedmoor Roller

Post by gunlaker » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:35 am

Maybe at long range the shooter used that sight base on the butt stock and shot it in the back position. Stock fit is a personal thing, but I think there are advantages to getting the comb high, especially when shooting prone. In other positions it matters less for me.

Chris.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:38 am

I suspect that stock had everything to do with using the back position. Possibly with one hand over the comb. It is a heck of a nice rifle, but those guys were a lot tougher than us and they weren't allowed to use artificial support like we do. So their positions were quite different and their trade offs (e.g., weight, barrel length) were a lot different.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 pm

My first dedicated black powder long range rifle was a re-barreled Remington roller. The drop in the stock forced me to learn how to shoot it without a cheek weld. I've shot it that way using cross sticks, a wrist rest and a wrist rest single point sling combo. I found the sling/wrist rest the most stable.

I now have several long range rifles (an 1885, a Borchardt and several muzzleloaders) and find it is not necessary to have a tight cheek weld on them either.

I only tried the back position once and did not trust myself enough to use it without the strong possibility of loosing some of my body parts below the knees. FM

BUTTON_POST_REPLY