Vertical stringing

Here's the place to share your questions, knowledge, and experience about the shooting techniques that could make us all better shooters. Safety must always be a consideration when using black powder in our rifles.
cthomsen
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:23 am
LocationCOLON Kenai, Alaska

Vertical stringing

Post by cthomsen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:25 am

I am having trouble with vertical stringing. I believe it is related to my Soule sight not detenting in a vertical position. Every time I fire, I move the sight back to vertical. And I don't think it is the same each time. The spring detent that came with the sight does not lock right. Is there another soloutuion for getting repeatability?

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 am

You might try just tightening the screw that holds the staff to the base. If you're somewhat adept with files, you might try sharpening the edge of the notch.
You also might make a mental note to be sure the bill of your cap, or brim of your hat contact the staff in the same place with the same amount of pressure each time.
Beyond that theres a ton of things from where you're resting the gun, to the buttplate not mounting on your shoulder at the same spot,cheek weld, to forestock tension, to your load just falling apart that can cause the stringing.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Vertical stringing

Post by montana_charlie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:03 am

cthomsen wroteCOLONThe spring detent that came with the sight does not lock right.
Can you describe the apparent problem in a way that could help someone suggest a solution?

As Ranch 13 said, there are many possible causes for vertical stringing, but solid sights are fundamental to all shooting.
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:35 pm

I'll rule out the vernier unless it is constructed incorrectly ... I leave the locking nut purposely on the loose side so I don't have to untighten and tighten it. It does move from recoil. I put it back in the detent after each shot and have no evidence of vertical stringing

I'm with Don and Charlie ... need more information on the reloads and is it shot on sticks - offhand or bench rest. How is the rifle being mounted - trigger pull? or the infamous looking too quickly instead of giving the smoke a chance to clear? :wink:

Here's a long thread on the subject ... http://www.bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1171 for ideas

cthomsen
PostsCOLON 4

Sorry

Post by cthomsen » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:02 pm

I guess I was a little vague. I can not adjust the rear sight to detent in the vertical position. I think because there is small differences where I position it after each shot that is giving me the stringing. The spring that adjusts the detent won't postition in the right place. Maybe I can build some type of stop to push the sight agianst to keep it consistant? Maybe there are other springs for my application? So on. Thanks much for the replies so far.
Pedersoli 40-65 Rolling Block
Pedersoli Soule Sight

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:03 am

Sounds like you need to file the detent on the sight so that the spring will engage it where you want it .
Would probably help if you gave the make and model

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: Sorry

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:07 am

cthomsen wroteCOLONThe spring that adjusts the detent won't postition in the right place.
Your 'tag line' says Pedersoli 40-65 and Pedersoli Soule Sight.
If you actually do have Pedersoli's Soule sight, it has a very positive spring and well-fitted detent notch for adjusting staff angle.

The end of the spring is held to the sight base by it's own screw. Loosening that screw allows the spring to move forward and backward over a small range. That movement adjusts the actual angle of the staff in relation to the sight base.

This is a 'flat spring' which has a gentle curve in it, and a 'v' shaped end. The point of the (inverted) 'v' pushes up into the detent notch on the bottom of the staff to lock it in position.

Just guessing from the vague description of your problem, it may be that the adjustment screw is loose...allowing the spring to move around...or (perhaps) the v-shaped tip is broken off of your spring.

Did you buy the sight new...or second-hand?
CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

zrifleman
PostsCOLON 293
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:35 am

Post by zrifleman » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Vertical stringing can be caused by other things like changing cheek position forward and backward from shot to shot, allowing the gun to rock more or less from recoil, inconsistent primers or ignition. Don't just dwell on the sight. They all move under recoil.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:39 pm

if that is the actual Pedersoli soule sight, some of them have 2 detent cuts on the bottom of the staff, you may not be positioned in the correct one or you might have the sight base turned around backwards.

at one time I had 4 of those at the house, with different manufacture dates (got them on a good deal and passed them on to acquaintances) not a one of them had an issue about being able to adjust into a verticle position

dc

RMulhern
PostsCOLON 322
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 pm
LocationCOLON Down South

Vertical stringing??

Post by RMulhern » Tue May 19, 2009 10:52 am

Can ANYBODY say INCONSISTENT NECK TENSION?????

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Vertical stringing??

Post by Brent » Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

RMulhern wroteCOLONCan ANYBODY say INCONSISTENT NECK TENSION?????
I'd bet against it.

How sure are you that you have vertical stringing in the first place? How many targets, shots, the distances involved. Most vertical stringing - esp. at shorter distances anyway - is imagined.

Brent

cthomsen
PostsCOLON 4

Thamks

Post by cthomsen » Wed May 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Thank you all for your help. I resolved the problem. I filed another detent in the bottom of the staff between the two that were there. Now the staff will detent in the correct postition. I just shot several 1.5" groups at 100 yards with no stringing. Take care.
Pedersoli 40-65 Rolling Block
Pedersoli Soule Sight

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu May 21, 2009 7:27 am

Glad you goter all worked out.
Keep us posted on your exploits and adventures with that rifle.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY