2017 World Championships. Australia.

Match notices and results.
Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Re: 2017 World Championships. Australia.

Post by Vbull » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 pm

I just got word of the results and decided to look here.
Good shooting all around.
I'm very pleased Raymond Hanson won with the Billinghurst under hammer rifle I built for him about 3 years ago.
My first rifle was a re-barrelled T/C Renegade with .45 cal. 1:18 twist Green Mountain barrel.
It did fine but like all side hammers it had the occasional click/boom delayed ignition.
Noting most slug gun rifles were of the under hammer design, I built several on the Hopkins & Allen under hammer lock. No more click/booms!
I've competed with #5 and #6 heavy barrels. The #6 is too heavy for MLAIC regulations but the #5 comes in around 13 lbs.
I can't say 1:16 is better then 1:16 twist. Great scores have been shot by both.
Congratulations to all the competitors. FM

Kurt
PostsCOLON 654
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 pm

My dreams for making a International team are none existent at my age. I would like to shoot the LR ML matches, always have. I don't know if they hold the same strict rules or not but I have been thinking on building a under hammer target rifle with a lock like the Allan Foundry or a finished rifle like this
Alderman Rifle.JPG
Alderman Rifle.JPG (98.96 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
thRZBYMN2P.jpg
thRZBYMN2P.jpg (1.82 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
I don't like the Hopkins & Allan it has burned up several shirt sleeves and Jacket sleeves.

Hahndorf1874
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Post by Hahndorf1874 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 am

G,day
Is there a site that has all of the 2017 Monarto results? Later Mal.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1647
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:11 am

Hahndorf1874 wroteCOLON
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:15 am
G,day
Is there a site that has all of the 2017 Monarto results? Later Mal.
Not that I know of. I am hoping that we are eventually sent a full set of scores.

The South Africa website listed above has most of them however.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1647
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 am

Frank,
I really like the rifle you built for Ray. But I have a couple questions. In particular, how did you set up the breach? And what did you use for the breech plug? With my under hammer, there is so little space in which to thread a breech plug and still be significantly behind the hammer and thus, the percussion flash channel. I am curious how you did it for Ray, and what did you use for a plug? A grade 8 bolt perhaps?
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:38 pm

Brent,

I threaded the breech 3/4"-16 and used a grade 8 bolt. The breech face is flat since it is easier to clean then one with a concave face. I've tried it both ways and can see no difference between them. I turned a short step on the breech face that fits into a counter bore to seal the breech.
My notes are in the shop but there is plenty of "plug" for the rifle.
The big thing is setting the nipple counter bore so it lands just in front of the breech face. I've built several now and depending on the barrel diameter, it determines what the angle is from the hammer face to the breech face. It won't be 90* unless it is a very thin barrel. The nipple also "seats" against the bottom of the threaded counter bore. This is to keep the platinum liner from blowing into the barrel bore. ( I had this happen on a T/C Renegade conversion I did.)

It is a simple action but there is A LOT of hand work involved such as hand lapping a slight choke in the barrel, making the trigger have an adjustable sear and over travel stop, having the barrel and action keyed up to index the receiver, etc....

Raymond is a very serious competitor and knew what he wanted in this rifle. I'm very happy for him and glad that rifle worked out.

Frank M.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY