2017 World Championships. Australia.

Match notices and results.
Kurt
PostsCOLON 636
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Re: 2017 World Championships. Australia.

Post by Kurt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

Don. I looked down the basement this morning and I see I still have the .45-120 barrel with the rung chamber. I took it off the sharps action using a pipe wrench so I would not be tempted to sleeve the chamber with the jaw cuts on the barrel. I might cut it down to 30" and thread and screw in a breach plug and see if it is worth using for a slug rifle. :D I will move the one inch thick plate steel work bench out in the yard and clamp the barrel in the vice and shoot some groups with it clamped in a none moving rest. :D

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 pm

Be careful, Kurt there are some things that can go pretty darn wrong doing that period not all bridge plugs are created equal and those that are use for these kinds of bullets are not generically available. Using a normal breech plug supplied for a flintlock or percussion gun that is not a designated long range target rifle can result in serious deflagration.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636

Post by Kurt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Good point Brent. Do you have any idea what the diameter and thread pitch is ?

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636

Post by Kurt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 pm

It didn't take much effort to find how the original Whitworth match rifle designed for long range target shooting.
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/index.ph ... eech-plugs

Hahndorf1874
PostsCOLON 23
JoinedCOLON Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Post by Hahndorf1874 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:02 pm

G,day
Any more updates ,ie latest scores etc. LATER Mal.

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 85
JoinedCOLON Mon May 04, 2015 11:47 pm

Post by bruce moulds » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:40 pm

kurt,
there are better designs than the whitworth for long range shooting.
the easiest for you might just be to buy a pedersoli gibbs, get a mould that fits, and go shooting.
keep safe,
bruce.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636

Post by Kurt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:39 am

Bruce I looked at them several times and shot one. They shoot well and they shoulder well with good balance. I also handled a Alexander Henry #3 target I liked, but I still have enough parts to build a couple rifles short of the barrel.

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 85

Post by bruce moulds » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 pm

kurt, a local guy is using a krieger henry rifled and likes it a lot.
keep safe,
bruce,

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636

Post by Kurt » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Bruce do you know what twist is he using?

I have a 1/16 ROT .45-90 that shoots extremely well that pushes me to a 16 ROT shallow grooved barrel for this use. I have to do some searching to find out what is legal weight and rifle specs. I know nothing about this game but for years it has been in the back of my mind to shoot the LR ML.
Back in the late 50's I had a .45 caliber ML that had the muzzle turned round with three holes drilled on the face, Had no idea why they were there but I shot that rifle for several years and I ended taking it to a gun show and walked the floor with it and a guy asked me what do you have here? is it for sale ? I said I was looking for a trade on something and he said I will give you $60. for it...I handed him the rifle right now because I only paid $35. for it when I found it. :D Well I found a clot woodsman that I had enough new money in my pocket and walked home :D Well on the way out the door there were a lot of old magazines and flyers so I picked up some Remington flyers and on the inside page was a rifle that looked like the one I just sold. I still wonder to this day if my rifle was a Remington Target rifle :D

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 85

Post by bruce moulds » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:26 am

kurt it is 1:16.
the rifle is a replica of some brit original, possibly an alexander henry.
keep safe,
bruce.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:18 am

If I was building another long range rifle, cartidge or muzzleloader, it would be 16 twist. 18 works, but 16 is very slightly better in a .45 in my opinion.

As for muzzleloaders however. DO NOT use a standard breech. Pressures are considerably higher and you risk bad things over time. Better metal and some machining issues are required. One of the latter includes the threading for the nipple. It should bottom out the nipple. That is, the bottom of the nipple should seat against a "floor" in the bottom of the hole into which the nipple threads. This protects the threads from pressures that might otherwise cause it to fail eventually.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Some picts
A lot more clouds and rain that I expected. The wind was super abundant too, but we knew that going in.

Targets at 500 meters. We shot every target in individual events. Crossfiring happened.

One guy shot back position due to injury issues a long time ago.

American Ken Heismann

Loading behind the line LOTS of gear

Ray Hanson doing his thing with an underhammer

The Spanish had the best looking bullets 584 grns, silk paper, each one swaged and stamped.

Me coaching for the Midrange Team event - only team events were allowed coaching. Gullo and Hanson.

The team members. Captain Ed Decker kneeling with team event trophies. Back far left - Hoppy Hopkins, Grand Aggregate overall champion

Someone some of you will know. Dan McDonald stopped by to spectate. I also got to meet Bruce Moulds and Singleshot S.A.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 636

Post by Kurt » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 pm

Thank you Brent for posting. You guys done well! It may have been bad conditions but it was the same for all.

When and if I follow through building a rifle I will do a lot of research before starting this project. I saw a closed breach under hammer action once that I would build the rifle on and it will be a 16 ROT. The 16 ROT on my CPA .45-90 sure shoots well with it.

I'm sitting here in the north woods Wis. right now. Carolyn wante t see the colors so I took her up into the Michigan UP all the way up to Copper Harbor an over to Gay then crisscrossed Wis. Twice and I'm not getting to well with his thing :D
We will talk the match and rifle when the next time I see you.......Kurt

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Kurt wroteCOLON
Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:10 pm
Thank you Brent for posting. You guys done well! It may have been bad conditions but it was the same for all.
Generally, this was true. However at 800 meters to some extent and very dramatically at 1000 yds, targets 1, 2 and sometimes 3, were very very much worse due to turbulence. It crushed the Aussies at 1000 in the team event and it did in everyone else that shot it in the individual event, including another Aussie and me. Otherwise, it was a very fair course.

When and if I follow through building a rifle I will do a lot of research before starting this project. I saw a closed breach under hammer action once that I would build the rifle on and it will be a 16 ROT. The 16 ROT on my CPA .45-90 sure shoots well with it

Not sure what you mean by closed breech, but it would not be legal if you are thinking of a primer system, vs. the traditional caplock nipple. Underhammers are fine, but close breaches are not.

Brent

bruce moulds
PostsCOLON 85

Post by bruce moulds » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:16 am

brent,
thank you for the photos.
it reminds me of the pleasant afternoon i had watching,
kurt,
if you want to shoot long range muzzle loader un mlaic comps, they are very specific about what you can and can't use.
either originals, or replicas thereof are all that is allowed.
rifles are scrutineered strongly on this basis.
if you build one you need to present a lot of proof that it is an accurate replica.
in america the ferris rifle was sold on the basis of being competitive with the breech loaders in the late 1800s.
keep safe,
bruce.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY