Old Farts only

This is the area to post your classified items. Please maintain your own ads - removing them when necessary.
JIMOFATL
PostsCOLON 80
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:44 pm
LocationCOLON Georgia

Old Farts only

Post by JIMOFATL » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:11 pm

I recently took up wet shaving after many years and am looking for a Gillette Fat Boy adjustable razor. I want to look good shooting my Shiloh at the matches. :) PM me or jekidwell at live.com, if you have one sitting in a cupboard..................................Jim

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Re: Old Farts only

Post by Vbull » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:44 am

Jim,
My daughter gave me a safety razor like the one your looking for a couple years ago. She found it at Walmart in the "as seen on TV" section.
I think it had something to do with the bald guy in the pawn shop show.
Anyways, I started out using the same type of razor a long time ago and am happy to be using one again.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am

Those Gillette Fatboy razors are not cheap. ! Plenty on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/gillette-fatboy
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

COBPTR
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by COBPTR » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:36 am

Google " The Art of Shaving" store.
Everything a classy shaver needs.

Robert G.

JIMOFATL
PostsCOLON 80
LocationCOLON Georgia

Post by JIMOFATL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:09 pm

Frank,
It's the one I started with, also. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Sentimental. 8) ........

DRCook,
Hello! Howdy! They are expensive. Oh well, it's not worth it to me. :shock: .........

Robert,
How would you know? You haven't shaved since you were born. :) :wink: .................

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Robert do you shave? Or does your beard grown in fresh every day? My wife suggested I grow a beard to see if it improves my scores :D

Chris.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:46 pm

There are a couple little regional swap meets, flea markets and junk sellers around here. I will keep my eyes open, but typically, the "junkers" know what stuff sells for.

I would like to have a decent razor like that. An old one, just like you. New stuff just doesn't "feel right". Of course, the couple I had and my father had got pitched over the years, due to the "new and improved".

I found some decent "use a couple times and pitch" plastic ones at the grocery store. As a result of conflicting genetics, Welsh from my dad's side and Native American from my mother's, I don't have much, but what I do grow is like a wire brush. I typically throw them away before the week is up.

The expensive cartridges don't last either. One Christmas I was given an electric razor, dulled it down right quick.
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:41 pm

I will look through the shaving kit in the stuff I brought home out of the foot locker.
You want the red or blue blades and the brush too? :D

Kurt
"Complaining about a problem without posing a solution is called whining."
Teddy Roosevelt.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:40 am

Many years ago, I picked up about a dozen shaving soaps at a flea market. I thought they would last me until that last shave.
Well I was wrong. Fortunately my daughter has been making soap for a few years and set me up with her "natural" shave soap.
I don't know what is in it but it works nice. Keep your eyes out for a good brush and mug. A cheap brush doesn't last long.

Barry Miller
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Barry Miller » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:50 am

Check with your local Barber. He can get you a new mug and brush, and soap. Beware of buy used saving brushes, that how facial infections, etc. are spread, that's why they outlawed mug and brushes in Barber shops years ago. Food for thought. Been a Barber for 44 years. Best wishes Barry Miller

COBPTR
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by COBPTR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:37 am

Jim,
I just dont want you guys at these shoots to know what I really look like.

Chris,
Close, if I think real hard, sneeze or cough you can actually see it grow.

That is why i switched to a safety razor, doesn't clog like the modern ones and easy to rinse out. Plus a 10 pack of blades is 2 or 3 bucks. Get that and a badger hair brush and you're set.

Robert G.

JIMOFATL
PostsCOLON 80
LocationCOLON Georgia

Post by JIMOFATL » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm

Appreciate it everyone..............
I have really gotten into the wet shaving thing again with a new outlook. Before, shaving was always a necessity like the other two "S's" :)
Now, since I have retired and have a lot more time, I find it a very relaxing chore in the morning. It really doesn't take that much more time. I even have used an after shave splash like old bay rum. That gets your attention :) . Maybe it's my leaning towards nostalgia with BP rifles that brought me to this stage. I don't know and don't care. I love it. I just need to get rid of these new multi-blade razors....................

Kurt, "red or blue blades" that brought back memories too....

DRCook, appreciate you looking..............

Barry, Good advice. I'm pretty much set up with other gear. I'm just missing the razor.

Robert, "I just dont want you guys at these shoots to know what I really look like." More good advice........

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658

Post by Kurt » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Mine is the before trapdoor like your looking for. Mine the handle has to be screwed off and take it apart in three pieces to put the blade in.
Teddy Roosevelt.

45bpcr
PostsCOLON 131
JoinedCOLON Sat May 09, 2009 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Live Free or Die

Post by 45bpcr » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:50 am

That's great!
Sure beats the hell out of the cheap plastic crap or the Mega-Dollar 5 bladed techno-wonders they make nowadays.
I remember my Grand Dad using a straight razor and my Dad using safety razors.
If you not a hard core beard guy, there is a certain pleasure in the ritual of scraping one's face.
Sometimes I wear a beard sometimes not, luckily for me, I can grow one quickly.
I cut mine off last month.
Used a K-Bar dry, just like in the old WW2 movies 8)
I've always wanted a good straight razor
beard.JPG
beard.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
Craig

Kurt
PostsCOLON 658

Post by Kurt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:09 pm

I still have my us calamus k-bar knife and it is sharp enough to do the job wet or dry :lol:
Teddy Roosevelt.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY