keyholing

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
56 kodiak shooter
PostsCOLON 30
JoinedCOLON Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:05 pm

keyholing

Post by 56 kodiak shooter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I have a tc prohunter that appears to be keyholing, what causes this my load is 62 grains of swiss 1 1/2 f with a cast performance gas check 405

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: keyholing

Post by Brent » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:10 pm

That is hard to say. I'm not familiar with that rifle. I don't know its twist rate or even what it is chambered for. Typically, keyholing is caused by things like bullets that are too long or two skinny. But there can be other problems. Does the barrel lead much? Are you sure?
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 90
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Gas checks and black powder don't mix very well. I'd try some plain base bullets, good luck.

Arnie
PostsCOLON 319
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:15 pm

The bullets may be way to hard also .

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Keyholing ( un stabilized bullet), usually comes from a too heavy a bullet (too long) for the twist rate.

Sometimes aided buy too light a powder charge.

As an example........... Traditional muzzle loaders which were mainly 1:60 (ish) twist rates, were designed to shoot patched round ball, (as projectiles go,very short).
If you were hell bent on shooting Minies out of them, then the bullet had to be very short also, which also means it was light for caliber.
When the Enfields, Springfields and Zouaffe military rifles came along they were given a faster twist (1:48) so as to stabilize a decent weighted (longer) bullet.

I agree with Premod70 about the gas checks, but also bump your powder up if the manufacturer says it's ok. Sometimes a bit more horse power will help stabilize.
If no better, I'd look for a shorter / lighter bullet.

hope this helps, SS S.A.

Lumpy Grits
PostsCOLON 171
JoinedCOLON Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:06 pm
LocationCOLON The Mojave Desert...... Palmdale, Ca. U.S.A.

Post by Lumpy Grits » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:01 am

Arnie wroteCOLONThe bullets may be way to hard also .
THIS- :!:

LG
"Having you along, is like losing two good men"

BUTTON_POST_REPLY