New Member from Minnesota

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
Spikebuck
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:13 pm
LocationCOLON SE Minnesota

New Member from Minnesota

Post by Spikebuck » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:11 pm

I am just starting to investigate BPCR shooting. Haven't even purchased a rifle yet, but in the exploring and learning mode...though if the right purchase opportunity presents itself, I am ready to get a Sharps and start shooting.

I think I'm progressing 'backwards' from the way most people move through their weapon lifecycles. I started with traditional archery over 4 decades ago and shot bow exclusively until 2000 when I added traditional muzzleloading to the mix. The last three years I have also been building.

Here's my last creation, a fullstock flint Hawken in .58:

I've had an interest in BPCR's for some time, especially the Sharps. So I think it's time to get going.

I am a hunter first and foremost. Shooting is for my own pleasure and to prepare for hunting.

From the reading I've done here in just the last few days, I've already picked up some good tips, but I clearly have a LOT to learn. While I have been casting my own round balls, so have some skills in that area, I've never loaded cartridges. It does sound, however, that BPCR is a lot like muzzleloading when it comes to developing a load. The only difference is doing it in a cartridge instead of right in the barrel.

Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot. I'll no doubt have some "newbie" questions along the way, so appreciate your patience and your help as I delve into this new shooting sport.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?" Primal Dreams

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: New Member from Minnesota

Post by Brent » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:25 pm

Welcome spike buck. Your path sounds a lot like mine. I too did the traditional archery then the muzzle loaders and now black powder cartridge rifles. Seems like a good way to go to me.

Loading black in cartridges is rasy, and I might atrue that less experience could be more in the sense that you don't have a lot of smokeless habits to unlearn.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:17 pm

You sure made a pretty rifle ...
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Deadeye Bly
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Post by Deadeye Bly » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Very nice rifle. I like the 58 caliber. I built a .58 Hawken for my brother many years ago. My Hawken is a 50 caliber. I have a .58 flint longrifle in the early Allentown style. I shot muzzle loaders for over 20 years and built some. I got into black powder cartridge rifles as a natural progression. Like Brent, I shoot BPCR silhouette competition and target rifle(bullseye targets at mid and long range) It is very competitive and rewarding. After shooting round balls for years I got a cartridge rifle and went to a silhouette match. When I knocked that first ram over at 500 meters I was hooked.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and over on the Shiloh forum if you care go any further into cartridge shooting. There are lots of fine rifles used and it would be best if you could get to a match and see what is being used and ask questions before acquiring a rifle. Most shooters use a set trigger that you are used to on muzzle loaders. Unfortunately there aren't any matches very near Minnesota.

Welcome to the forum. I hope you spend enjoyable time here.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:17 am

Actually, there are quite a number of matches in Harris MN. I believe they are all gong matches, but I'm not sure.

There are great long and midrange target matches at Lodi, WI, which may be pretty reasonable to travel to, being down I-94 just north of Madison. If you are interested in these, I'd be glad to help get you in contact with the match directors and provide details about the matches. There is nothing quite like shooting 1000 yds with these rifles.

Spikebuck
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:13 pm
LocationCOLON SE Minnesota

Post by Spikebuck » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words on the Hawken...of course some argue if there ever was a flint Hawken (plains style, that is). :)

I'm probably 150 to 160 miles from both Harris and Lodi. Getting to Harris would no doubt take longer due to the drive through the Twin Cities. Lodi is 4-lane virtually all the way and "country" driving. I would be interested in info as even if not shooting, it would be fun to watch and learn at first.
"In a land painted by our Maker's hand, teeming with wildlife, where but here can a man know such freedom?" Primal Dreams

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Spikebuck,
I'll post a few things here and maybe attract a few others.

The 1st and the best match of the year at Lodi is the Mother's Day weekend. This is a registered NRA Regional match and all BPTR rules apply (pretty easy to do). Most shooters will shoot iron sights, but some will shoot scopes. distances are 1000, 900, 800 yds shot in that order each day. 30 minutes for all the sighters you want and 10 shots for record at each distance. Shooters will also spot and pull targets. This is probably be best match anywhere to get in the swing of long range shooting. Most of us arrive on Friday evening and hit a local restaurant for the classic Wisconsin fish fry and beer. If you can make only one match, this is the one. For the last two years, this has been the second biggest long range match in the country - albeit still only in the mid30s for shoots, but growing.

The second match is a midrange match, also and NRA regional, distances are 200, 500, and 600, all shot prone off of sticks. It is in mid June, usually but has not yet been scheduled for this year. Again, both irons and scopes will be present but most will be irons.

The last match tends to be in September, but has been pushed around by the BPTR nationals that are often scheduled on top of it, so it has to be moved but typically in mid September and similar to the Mother'd Day match. But this is not an NRA match so duplexing is allowed along with a few other things that don't come to mind. I don't think many folks deviate from what they shoot in May however.

All three of these matches are shot in a 3-relay rotation, thus, on person is in the pits pulling targets while one is shooting and the third is spotting/scoring.

Match directors are Mark Schwenke and Cliff Gregg. Cliff sends out the notices by email as the matches get scheduled, and also the registration forms etc. If you shoot Cliff an email at cbgregg4590 [at] gmail.com he can put you on the email lists. Or if you shoot me your email address, I can contact Cliff and get you on the lists.

Brent

BUTTON_POST_REPLY