Rifle choices for the newb

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
Chris101
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:25 am

Rifle choices for the newb

Post by Chris101 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 am

Hi all!
Newb here, and thank you for having me!
As I mentioned in another post, I just finished M. Ventorino's book, which seemed excellent. I've got all my accessories, brass, need to get some Swiss 1.5. But I'm still wondering what is the best 'first' rifle to get started with that is in the $1,000 - $1,400 range, will be fairly easy to find the right cast bullet for, will achieve some accuracy without too much frustration, etc.
Choices as I see them are:
- a shooter trapdoor with a decent barrel
- H&R Buffalo Classic with a new site appropriate for 100 yds +
- a used import Uberti/Pedersoli sharps
- look hard for a really used Shiloh or C. Sharps

What would you go with?
Thanks!!!

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Rifle choices for the newb

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 am

In your price range, I'ld recommend going for a Winchester bpcr 1885. Great shooting rifles and can be found brand new for around 1500$.
I'ld also suggest maybe to save a wee bit longer and go with a basic Shiloh roughrider or #3 for 1800 and change.
Might also suggest you take a look at KIK powder, much cheaper than Swiss, and shoots very clean.

semtav
PostsCOLON 225
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by semtav » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:32 am

Chris
You really haven't said what you are going to do with the rifle.
Hunting ??
Gong or competition shoots?

If the second, I'd definitely wait for the proper rifle. Win/Browning 1885 BPCR or Shiloh/C.Sharps.
A good Rolling Block wouldn't be too bad either.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:54 am

If you're going to be match shooting with it, don't forget to add about 700$ for sights.
If the focus is hunting then waiting for a sharps with the barrel sights or one of the Winchester sporter 1885's would be the way to go.

losttrail
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am
LocationCOLON North of COS, Colorado

Post by losttrail » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:08 am

I was very blessed this past summer to have my oldest brother give me a C. Sharps 1875 Sporter in .40-65. It has Kelley LR Soule rear and Kelley front. It came with about 500 brass, couple hundred bullets of various weights, 4 days of prep and instruction, shooting before we shot The Quigley.

I really like the 1875 and the .40-65 is a hoot and I had no problem hitting the buffalo target at 805 yards. (That dang 350 yard off hand in hurricane force winds kicked my butt).

For the price, I think the 1875 is a great choice.

For myself, I will be getting an 1874 in a .45-?? and it will have the pistol stock, but that will be around a $2,700 investment.

Keep us posted.
Last edited by 1 on losttrail, edited 0 times in total.
Jerry

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee, Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican

Chris101
PostsCOLON 16

Post by Chris101 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks for the responses.
We've got a 300 yd range at the club, which is pretty far around here. Otherwise, it would be used for some stand hunting. 90% targets, 10% hunting. So long and on the heavy side is fine by me.

I think I might just keep saving and hope that will get me to good accuracy with less headache. But that Buffalo Classic is tempting at such a low price. Then again, I see that plastic trigger guard and it turns me off for some reason.

DaveH
PostsCOLON 8
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 pm

Post by DaveH » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey Chris,
I don't know offhand if its still there, but there has been a well-used Shiloh 45-70 that has been on Gunbrokers.com for about a month that is in your price range. I don't think it has sights on it and it looks like its been someones hunting rifle. Please buy it before I have too!
Dave

blindeye
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Post by blindeye » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:12 pm

I'd strongly recommend trying examples of each of your possible choices before buying. Not everyone likes the same things or uses them in the same ways. Most guys would let you take a few shots to get the feel of their rifle in a casual setting. Even if not interested in competition, you'd find the widest variety of rifles at a match. And may be able to shoot a few after a match in some cases.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:23 pm

Cabelas has the Hunter model Pedersoli Sharps on clearance price for $850.00, for that price you can afford a good set of sights for target shoot etc

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Pedersol ... l+Products
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Chris101
PostsCOLON 16

Post by Chris101 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:13 am

semtav wroteCOLONChris
Win/Browning 1885 BPCR or Shiloh/C.Sharps.
A good Rolling Block wouldn't be too bad either.
With all of the Browning Winchester versions of the 1885; are the 1885s that are NOT bpcr versions (the ones without the extended tang) ok for bpcr??? Is the rifling or twist rates for the non-bpcr version set up specifically for smokeless? Or is it just the lack of a tang that distinguishes the from the bpcr version?

There are a couple on gunbroker for under $800 that seem like a lot more gun than the buffalo classic for $400 more dollars. Opinions???

Thanks!

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:37 am

Chris, the non-bpcr rifles are much lighter and will have a 1:20 twist rather than 1:18 ( assuming .45 cal ). I used to have one and it was a nice rifle but would be too light to make for an enjoyable competition rifle.

I picked up a used BPCR rifle not too long ago for pretty close to your budget and it included sights. For that budget I'd go with a used Browning/Winchester BPCR or a used Pedersoli as long as it came with sights and set triggers.

There are other things to factor into the cost besides rifles and sights though. You'll want a casting setup and decent moulds.

With respect to mould choice, I'd highly recommend getting advice from someone who has experience shooting whatever rifle you end up buying. You can waste a lot of money buying the wrong moulds :mrgreen:

Chris.

rbertalotto
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 am

Post by rbertalotto » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I would absolutely NOT buy a Winchester 1885 BPCR........Me and a bunch of other folks are getting extremely frustrated trying to get these rifles to shoot accurately. I have a bunch of single shot "period" rifles and all shoot very well except for this BPCR. When I get a chance I'm pulling the barrel, setting it back and rechambering. I'm convinced that the chambers on these rifles with the Badger barrel is very finicky.

That said......Pedersoli Sharps in 45-70 for around $1000 if you look around. Pedersoli makes some of the best barrels you are going to find. (There is a great video on YouTube about this) I have a Pedersoli Sharps "Bench Rest" and a Pedersoli Rolling Block. Both in 45-70. Both rifles with a proper cast bullet and FFg powder will shoot extremely accurate groups.

And then take all the rest of your money and buy the absolute best tang sight you can afford. I've had great luck with the Lee Shaver "economy" sights for $225. But the better MVA, Lee Shaver, etc are all worth the few $$ more.

A good Lyman #17 globe front sight and you are nearly good to go...........

The most important thing will be a custom mold for the proper sized bullets......You will need to slug the bore and deal with this otherwise you will be wasting your time looking for accuracy........If you don't cast now...You will!

beltfed
PostsCOLON 274
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Post by beltfed » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:09 pm

rbertolotto,
Interesting that you say the Win BPCRs do not shoot well.
I would be interested in your specifics on this experience.

I have friends that shoot the new Win BPCR and they do Very Well with them.

I own and have owned a number of the Brg BPCR(Miroku built/badger barreled) rifles and every one shot real well.
I have not owned one of these more recent Miroku's built under the Win name, but they are presumably same as the previous Brgs made 1996 thru 1998.

????????
beltfed/arnie

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:49 pm

I'd be interested to see what sort of bullets people have been using in their Browning/Winchester 1885 BPCR rifles. Mine is definitely more picky with respect to bullets than my Shiloh in .45-70. The bullets that work best for me have reduced driving bands at the front and are seated out a fair bit. Until I tried that style of bullet I wasn't getting good accuracy.

But I guess that should be a separate thread.

Chris.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Carols Winchester rifle digest postells, money bullets, the rcbs 82084, saeco 645's ,and the 457124 bullet, all sized at .458 or 9 . Use a .06 fiber wad with the lighter bullets, and .030 with the heavy's. All get 70 grs of 2f, except the 124 and it gets 75 grs.
There's to many of those Winchester/Browning bpcrs on the line placing well for there to be much credibility to claims the guns can't be made to shoot.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY