two questions for you veterns(of this forum)

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
jime444
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 pm

two questions for you veterns(of this forum)

Post by jime444 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:21 am

Been out of the game for a bit, had a couple of questions on ancillary equipment, here goes:

1. what spotting scope are you using and do you use it for other shooting sports (just not bpcr)?

2. Do you use a recoil pad and if so, brand and type (shoulder strap, t-shirt, shooting coat, etc.)?

Thanks again.
Jim

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: two questions for you veterns(of this forum)

Post by Ranch 13 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:02 am

I have two spotting scopes, one is the Burris Landmark , and the other is a vortex with the angled eyepiece. I do occasionally use them while hunting.
I only use a recoil pad when shooting from prone, and then it's the slip on Shooters friend.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:19 am

jime444 wroteCOLON 2. Do you use a recoil pad and if so, brand and type (shoulder strap, t-shirt, shooting coat, etc.)?
First, I bought a PAST recoil pad, but I couldn't shoot accurately with it. It was so hard and slick the butt would slip sideways(out toward my shoulder) and cause horizontal stringing.
I switched to the (thinner and softer) Bob Allen rifle pad
http://www.bob-allen.com/inventoryD.asp ... 3F59919%7D

I can shoot well with it, and it does the job for my military butted Sharps.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Brownie Nash
PostsCOLON 64
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:48 pm
LocationCOLON Oregon's High Desert

Post by Brownie Nash » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:52 pm

I would have to give a + 1 for the shooters friend. Ugly but the best slip on pad for the money.

Regards

Brownie
I do not live in the middle of nowhere,but I can see the edge of it from here.
Most of what I tell you is true,and the rest,well the rest is the West.

Maj. Forrest Smith
PostsCOLON 124
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Stillwater, OK

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm

THE most used spotting scope on the shooting line in BPCR silhouette is by far the Kowa 80 mm scope, whether straight or angle eyepiece. Very clear and you can see the mirage with it. You will not regret getting one, just save your money for one. The next one that is not bad is 100 Konus with a 20x to 60x variable for about $300. Good scope for the money.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:33 pm

Celestrons make a dang nice affordable scope. The 100 mm one for 379.00 with what looks like an additional savings would do the job very well

http://www.championshooters.com/store/home.php?cat=340

these folks have some of the best prices in the country
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:37 am

Dave: do you know where the Celestrons are made?

It does look like a nice 'scope and I know of a fellow Shooter who is in need of a good spotting 'scope.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:15 am

Ray, for what it's worth ...
Celestron sells and markets its products worldwide through a variety of specialty retail outlets and international distributors. Celestron is a privately held company with corporate offices and manufacturing facilities, in Torrance, CA.
http://www.celestron.com/portal/about-celestron/

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am

Ray et al,

I have 2 of the 80mm 20-60x versions, a straight body and an angled body. I am very pleased with them. Down the road, I am thinking of buying another straight body one and rigging up a set of very long range binoculars.

If the 100 mm one had been there when I bought my Kowa TSN 822 with 27x EER eyepiece, I might not have paid the money for the Kowa.

Dave
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

bluesteel45
PostsCOLON 107
JoinedCOLON Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:03 pm
LocationCOLON central.pa.

Post by bluesteel45 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 pm

ditto on the "shooters friend recoil boot"....not pretty..but easy on and off your rifle....it WONT SLIP, and it really tames the hard kickers....john

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:06 am

This is an old thread, but I'll chime in since it's been brought back from the dead :mrgreen:

I'm using a Bushnell 80mm spotting scope that is variable power from 20 to 60. It's not a top of the line scope but it works pretty well. I generally crank it up to 60x for shooting at paper, although when there is a lot of mirage it has to be backed off. For silhouettes this year I was using it at 20x which was plenty to see impacts on the rams, I was surprised to see that I could watch flies walking across the turkeys even at 20x.

For a recoil pad I've been using a lace up pad that I bought from Buffalo Arms. The only downside to slip on pads is that they change the length of pull which is really bad for off hand shooting, and still not great for prone.

Chris.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY