wiping instead of blow tube

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:49 am
LocationCOLON Near Yosemite, CA
CONTACTCOLON

wiping instead of blow tube

Post by YosemiteSam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:04 pm

When you wipe during a match, do you have to wipe the whole bore from stem to stern? Or do you just wipe the chamber and enough of the bore so you can seat a cartridge? Seems to me, if you are blow tubing, you are still shooting through a dirty bore. So wiping would not need to actually swab out the whole bore? OR would stopping and leaving partial fouling be too much of an obstruction risk?

A newbie thinking out loud...

thanks for the chance to speak up and make a fool out of myself again!

K
I HATE RABBITS

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Re: wiping instead of blow tube

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't shoot in matches, so my input may not be as useful to you as that of others, but ...

Blowtubing is fouling control by adding moisture to the fouling.
When you blowtube (correctly) you get all of the bore fouling moist to some degree. When the next bullet passes through, there are no 'dry, crusty spots' to cause leading or velocity variations. The goal is to moisten the fouling to the same 'consistency' every time so every bullet sees the same environment.

Wiping is fouling control by removing the fouling.
You either do it ... do it partially ... or don't do it. Which sounds most 'consistent' to you?
The 'dry patch' that follows the moist patch(es) is mainly to make sure the chamber is dry (for me, anyway).

I only wipe when shooting paper patched bullets that don't have any form of lube in the load. Otherwise, I blowtube ...

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:49 am
LocationCOLON Near Yosemite, CA
CONTACTCOLON

Post by YosemiteSam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm

makes sense, thanks.

K
I HATE RABBITS

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Wiping is done from stem to stern. For different competitions, different methods and tools are required to do it most efficiently.

There are some folks that chamber swab - but generally after running a wet patch the full length of the bore. They are generally (or even exclusively so far as I can tell groove bullet shooters.

Brent
I'm not from here, I just live here.

MikeS
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:42 pm
LocationCOLON Weston FL
CONTACTCOLON

Post by MikeS » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi All.

I'm new here, just registered today. I have a question regarding wiping between shots, can I use a 410 shotgun mop that's moistened (not dripping wet) to wipe between shots? I have a rolling block in 45-70 and I noticed that a 410 mop fits the bore nicely (it fits, but is not really tight enough for real cleaning), and thought it might be an easy way to wipe out the bore between shots. Any reason why this wouldn't work?

-Mike
-MikeS

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Works fine for the first pass. But then it's a mess. And you might want to run a dry patch behind it.

macca
PostsCOLON 163
JoinedCOLON Tue May 26, 2009 5:46 am
LocationCOLON Australia

Post by macca » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:22 pm

I pass one moist patch (1/10 soluble machine oil and water) on a nylon bristle brush through the bore between shots. Removes 95%+ of the fouling, leaves the rest moist, gives bore consistency, provides a film of lubricant for the next bullet to travel over, and allows projectiles to be seated into bore and is probably as quick or quicker than blow tubing.
Cheers macca
A Sudoku a day keeps alzheimers away ........I think

Arnie
PostsCOLON 319
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:51 pm

MikeS ,if you want to use a shotgun bore swab ,you can use a system i used to use when i shot off a bench or even sitting up off cross sticks . I took a big mouth plastic jar about 2 Quart size and cut a 1 to 1 1/2 inch diameter hole in the lid .Then cut a piece of LDPE to act as an inside seal for the lid .Then punch a 40 caliber hole in the center of the LDPE and cut slits like fingers from the center of the hole to the edges of the 1 inch hole you put in lid .Fill the jug with water and then push a cleaning rod with the bore swab attached into the hole .As you pull it back out it will squeege the swab so its not so wet .Run this swab up and down the bore a few times and place it back in the jar ,dry chamber and shoot . Arnie

kgillard
PostsCOLON 11
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:10 pm
LocationCOLON Lake Charles, Louisiana

Post by kgillard » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 am

Hey guys,
Another newbie here! Is Ballistol/water mixture good for swabbing between shots? If I don't swab or use a "blow tube", how many shots can I make without greatly affecting accuracy? Just got my gun yesterday....a Browning 1885 High Wall BPCR manufactured in 1997, .45-70. The only bullets I have so far were 405grn lead given to me by a friend. As of yet, I have not prepared any loads for the gun, but hope to shoot it this weekend.

Thanks,
Karl
Karl Gillard
Lake Charles, LA
Browning 1885 High Wall BPCR, .45-70

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1568
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:36 am

Shooting grease groove bullets you may get anywhere from 3-10 rounds. Depending on bullet lube, powder fouling, and temperature and humidity.
Shooting under bore diameter patched bullets with a lube cookie or lubed felt wad it's not unheard of to go to 30 or more rounds and still maintain hunting + accuracy. Might not maintain target accuracy tho.
Blowtubes are simple things to make and use, wiping between shots isn't all that big of a deal either.

rbertalotto
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 am

Post by rbertalotto » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:25 am

I use a 20% Balistol / 80% H2O mixture to swab between every shot. One moist, one dry. In the prone position I use a flexible, 18" cleaning rod and only swab and dry the first 18" of the barrel.

beltfed
PostsCOLON 274
JoinedCOLON Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:02 pm
LocationCOLON WI

Post by beltfed » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:17 pm

rbertalotto,
I just can't imagine leaving the front end of the bore to dry up and crust the fouling after you swab only the back 18"
The muzzle end is the most critical and will foul out quickly/lose accuracy w/o good blow tubing technique or wiping ALL THE WAY to/thru the Muzzle.

Maybe that is why you can't seem to make the Win BPCR shoot ?/

beltfed/arnie

rbertalotto
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:28 am

Post by rbertalotto » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 am

Maybe that is why you can't seem to make the Win BPCR shoot ?/
:lol:

I could swab from dusk to dawn and that BPCR wouldn't shoot well..........every once in a while we get a turkey.......

But my 18" swabbing certainly works well on all my other 45-70 rifles with Black Powder.

But I hear you about a full length swab, and I agree you might be correct. But in the prone position it's a bear to use a full length rod. But I might convert this year..........

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:34 am

rbertalotto wroteCOLON But in the prone position it's a bear to use a full length rod. But I might convert this year..........
Why is that? I do it a thousand times every year and find it almost effortless.

I'll wager you are not using a delrin rod. That would help a lot. If you lay out your patches and bore pigs or whatever your preferences might be, you should find this very very easy to do and very fast.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 379
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:48 pm

I think wiping from prone takes some practice before you get efficient at it. I'm spending time working on my wiping efficiency as I think it's worth the effort and I need to improve. One of my shooting friends tells me that when wiping while prone I look like I'm humping a duck. He's a dedicated blow tuber though :mrgreen:

Chris.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY