Newbie intro and plea for help

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Newbie intro and plea for help

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:47 am

Ray my "probably won't matter" statement was made in reference to cost. Probably won't matter who he take's it to it's going to cost 600$ plus, this I can say from checking just recently with a number of well known bpcr smiths on a project of my own I am considering..
Hope that clears up any confusion.. to repeat it's not going to matter much who does it, it will cost 600$ plus....

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:35 am

Don: mea culpa, I misread your post.

The more I think 'bout it though, I do believe that Shiloh-Sharps is the way to go. You could ask that they examine the rifle, looking for any worn parts. The rifle probably has the old style firing pin. Replacement parts will be right at hand at Shiloh.

From my personal experience, Shiloh barrels are very good and will hang in there with the best of them if the Shooter has the eye sight and the shooting and load development abilities.

And something else to consider, while US$600.00 is not exactly chump change, it is a great deal cheaper than a new rifle!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:43 am

Ray not a problem, :) you're absolutely right about sending the rifle back to Shiloh, for the barrel and the going over. No matter how you do it it's not going to be cheap... And there's alot to be said for keeping everything OEM :wink: But still if the Shiloh thing isn't the number one pick I'ld still go with Crossfire or Wyoming Armory.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 am

If the OP can scrape up the dinero and have it rebarrelled and a new buttstock put on at Shiloh, then, as everyone keeps saying, it will hold its value and be pleasant to shoot.

I have a nbr 1 that I bought used that some day, either I will trade off, or have it rebarrelled to a 30" heavy. it is a 34" regular, in 45-70.

Probably doesn't make a difference, but (except in my bigger calibers like the 100's and 110's which have 32 and 34 inch barrels) I like the 30" heavy.

I keep trying to bug Capt Call (on the Shiloh board, his real name is Tom, lives in Pa) to buy it. It is a sister to his 110 which is configured exactly the same.
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY