Newbie intro and plea for help

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:49 am
LocationCOLON Near Yosemite, CA
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Newbie intro and plea for help

Post by YosemiteSam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks, I did email him and he has given me a ballpark quote. He is in a bit of a backlog at the moment, but that does not bother me as I have no money to invest in this right now anyway.. I figure sometime after the new year I might have some money to throw at this, and I will contact him then. Meanwhile I have had a very generous galoot mail me some bullets to try, so that will keep me occupied for a while. Sheesh, I am not even supposed to shoot any guns for another month or so --recovering from shoulder surgery. I was just pondering the liner idea and as long as the end product is a decent shooting gun, I am interested. If it is actually half the cost of a rebarrel, I might have a few pennys left over to put a shotgun butt stock on it as well. or not.

But... thinking about longterm value here... a rebarrel from Shiloh would be a better route probably.

Ken
I HATE RABBITS

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Post by DRCook » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 pm

A rebarrel from Shiloh would be the best route to go and you could call them and get an idea of the cost and the cost of a new buttstock. I would say you are looking in the area of at least $1000.00 for both maybe a little more if you need a new forearm if I remember correctly. I think that a rebarreling job is around 650'ish. Then factor in shipping both ways.
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
CONTACTCOLON

Post by YosemiteSam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 am

yeah the butt stock is out if I go with a rebarrel. well, this is all just future stuff. for now, I'll play a little and see if I can get the gun to hit close to where I point it as-is. no worrys.

K
I HATE RABBITS

YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
CONTACTCOLON

Post by YosemiteSam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:26 am

For lining a barrel, would the whole gun need to be shipped? Couldn't you just ship the barrel and save FFL? Anyone know?

K
I HATE RABBITS

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:56 am

YosemiteSam wroteCOLONFor lining a barrel, would the whole gun need to be shipped? Couldn't you just ship the barrel and save FFL? Anyone know?
I'm pretty certain that, when having a gun worked on (not transferring ownership) it can be shipped directly to the gunsmith ... and directly back to you ... with no need for a separate FFL'd 'helper'.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:42 am

Just have the gunsmith send you a copy of his FFL so you have it in hand when shipping it to him. They can ship the gun back to you without the FFL hassle.

Regardless of who you would have do it, make sure you are dealing with someone who has experience installing liners. That is why I suggested John Taylor. If he is backed up, maybe he can recommend someone else, or you can ask for recommendations.

YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
CONTACTCOLON

Post by YosemiteSam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:02 am

thanks all. great advice!

Ken
I HATE RABBITS

Brent
PostsCOLON 1633
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:44 am

You don't need the smith's FFL to send or receive the rifle.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Brent,

By law you don't. But.......

When I needed to ship a rifle to an FFL out of state, our local post office kept a CYA file of the recieving FFL, a letter from me stating it was a long gun and legal to ship, etc. Not required by law, but since I provided some paperwork, they made it extremely easy for me to do business.

The Fed-Ex and UPS places are getting sticky about shipping things. The "UPS Store" will not ship a firearm, period. Around here you have to drive to the UPS office itself, since the "Mailbox" chain went out of business (or changed their name or something, the one that shipped guns for me is gone)

A local FedEx shipping center made it easy for me to ship one of my rifles back to the folks that built it 3 months ago because I took the time to clear it with him and offer to get their FFL for his records.

Depending on where you live, people's attitudes are different. It can't hurt to have the smith's FFL in hand, signed and stating it is to ship a firearm for repair. Plus it is just good CYA in today's political climate.

Dave

Brent
PostsCOLON 1633
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:16 pm

I just use the post office and if I have to remind them about the rules so be it, but it rarely happens and only takes a moment to sort out. For that matter, the desk people have no business knowing what is in the package. As long as it is legal - and a rifle w/o ammo is legal - then the USPS needs to know nothing more.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 472

Post by DRCook » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 pm

The OP lives in the Demokratik Republik of Kalifornication (no personal offense intended to him), so he has to be very careful and have all his ducks in a row, in an undeniable defense as sad as that sounds, if I lived out there, I would be super vigilant.

It is a shame, that we, extremely law abiding citizens, have to be so vigilant against the powers that be, even when we are operating according to the letter of the law.

YosemiteSam
PostsCOLON 45
CONTACTCOLON

Post by YosemiteSam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 pm

just for the sake of beating a dead horse one more time, what about C Sharps rebarreling my Sharps?

K
I HATE RABBITS

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:38 pm

Probably not going to matter who rebarrels your rifle, it's going to be 600$+.
You could just for kicks and grins pm Crossfire oops here on this board, and discuss your rifle and the probable fixes with him. Last I talked to him he had some Badger barrels on hand and he's got a killer 45-100 reamer and grease groove bullet.
Which bring back another option of simply rechambering the gun to one of the longer cases.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:04 am

It's is rarely seen, but there are barrels out there which were removed from their original receivers for a variety of reasons.
Occaisonally one or two show up 'for sale'.

Of course, it would require a knowledgeable smith to install one properly, but any Sharps barrel from Shiloh, C. Sharps, or Pedersoli would turn your rifle into a shooter.

An ad in the For Sale section of a few gun forums might jar the memory of somebody with a lonely barrel living in the back corner of his safe.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Ray Newman
PostsCOLON 481
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:37 pm
LocationCOLON Bewteen NoWhere & NoPlace, WA ST

Post by Ray Newman » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 am

"Probably not going to matter who rebarrels your rifle, it's going to be 600$+."
--Ranch13

Don, I 'dunno' about your comment that it “probably not going to matter” who re-barrels the rifle in question.

I had C. Sharps re-barrel my .45-2.4" with a Badger and they cut the chamber length to 2.447" plus. Had to purchase and cut down Starline .45-2.6" brass to make it shoot. When I queried C. Sharps about the excessive chamber length I was told in a rather cavalier manner “That’s the way we do it.” As a result, I was back to square one....

Also knew a Shooter who had a chamber cut crooked/off center by the late Hall Sharon’s barrel shop.

I have no idea what the cost will/would be. But it is something to carefully check into is you are cost conscious.

If the rifle was mine, I would call Shiloh-Sharps as ask about what a complete re-barrel job -- new barrel, chamber, dovetails, bluing, etc. --would cost and the time frame. Time frame is important as my 45 day at C. Sharps re-barrel job turned into almost 13 months.

Just might also check with OPS as Don suggested.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah
WA St F.E.S.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY