A few true or false questions from a newbie

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
Jim Comeaux
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm

A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by Jim Comeaux » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:30 pm

I have been contemplating this for a while now and the more I look into it, the more questions I have. Here are a few of the questions that I have now.They can all be answered as true of false. These are all direct quotes that I have gotten from my searches.


1. Straight grip stocks as oposed to pistol grip stocks will reduce felt recoil significantly.
2. Crescent buttplates exacerbate felt recoil.
3. A rolling block action is not as strong or as accurate as a falling block action.
4. If you are going to invest money, invest it in the barrel, they are 75% of the accuracy of a rifle. Quality sights are essential, they are the other 25% of the accuracy of the rifle.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by Brent » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:37 pm

1 False
2. Depends
3. Depends
4. True
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Jim Comeaux
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by Jim Comeaux » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Brent wroteCOLON1 False
2. Depends
3. Depends
4. True
Brent,
On #'s 1 and 2, O.K. and thanks for your input, but what do they depend on?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1590
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by Brent » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Number 2 depends on how you shoulder a rifle. For most people the answer will be yes. But not for all, and not in all positions.

Number 3 depends on which roller vs. which falling block.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

429scj
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by 429scj » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 pm

# 1 false the reason I use pistol grip stocks is because I have hands slightly larger than a Grizzly bears and the pistol

grip gives me more wood to put my hand around

#2 False my opinion would be if they hurt you then you are not using the rifle the way it was intended to be used with Crescent butt plate look at some of the old photos of shooters and pay attention to the but plate and what position the shooter is in with the BIG Crescent butt plates mostly prone where the butt plate is in the upper arm not the shoulder

#3 Strength I will not argue as I do not know Accurate I would say probably possible rollling block could be more accurate because of the inline hammer and less torque as the side hammers would get "ie" sharps,trapdoors.again go back to the early 1900's and earlier and read up on the rifles the sharps lost favor among the target shooting crowd because of the supposed twisting torque put on the rifle when the hammer fell with it being off to the side like it is "right or wrong it is in the old books"
#4 True but also the action is VERY important i would put it 50 % barrel 25 % action 25 % sights or just buy a 1885 Winchester from C.Sharps and get the whole package right the first time sorry about the long 1 word answers just my opinion

carl holman
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:57 am

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by carl holman » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:05 am

contemplate to much you will never get anything.

DRCook
PostsCOLON 469
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Re: A few true or false questions from a newbie

Post by DRCook » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:26 am

1. Straight grip stocks as oposed to pistol grip stocks will reduce felt recoil significantly.
Depends on your own personal anatomy. You won't know until you try. Put out a post and ask if anyone local to you will let you shoot a respective design. You will find most people in the BPCR world will help each other out.
2. Crescent buttplates exacerbate felt recoil.
Once again, personal anatomy AND intended shooting purpose and position as everyone above has said.
3. A rolling block action is not as strong or as accurate as a falling block action.
depends on your powder. if you shot smokeless loads designed for a Ruger Nbr 1, or even smokeless loads that a Shiloh Sharps will handle, there is a good chance, actually more than a good chance a Rolling block will come apart, most likely with very disastrous consequences. they were designed for BP and BP pressures. I know people will argue the merits of a 7mm rolling block action, but the fact of the matter is, there is just not as much metal holding a roller from opening up from the bottom as there is say from a Sharp, 1885, Stevens 44 1/2 as built by CPA.
4. If you are going to invest money, invest it in the barrel, they are 75% of the accuracy of a rifle. Quality sights are essential, they are the other 25% of the accuracy of the rifle.
There are some suppliers of BPCR pattern rifles based in Europe that have a history of soft metal in the internals. Putting a good barrel on one of these is sorta like putting lipstick on a pig. You can dress it up and take it on a date, but it is still a pig. I have heard (first hand from an acquaintance) of having to re-harden sears, triggers, hammers etc as the parts were soft and tended to burr up.

Any of the U.S. based companies, Shiloh, C. Sharps, DZ Arms, Meacham Tool & Die, throw in the Japanese produced Winchester and Browning BPCR 1885 based rifles, will all have good barrels and good actions (unless you just got a bad one which statistically has to happen eventually). If you pay a little more in the beginning for quality, then you will only have to pay the money once.

So by default, you are already investing in a good barrel.

Add in your sights and good to go.
drcook = david r, not dr. but thanks for the compliment :)

BUTTON_POST_REPLY