Rifle Cleaning Q's

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
Brat4590
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Rifle Cleaning Q's

Post by Brat4590 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Folks, relatively new to BPCR's. I found a nice Pedersoli Sharps in 45-90 and have thus far shot it with some 5744 loads (29 grs under 500 LRN).

I've picked up the items needed to load BP and have read through various comments on how to approach loading (powder comp, wads, etc).

The question I have is how extensively do people clean their rifles after shooting with BP? Presume one would field strip and clean the breech block and obviously the barrel. Do people find it necessary to strip the action? Just wondering how far the burn products migrate.

I have a Colt Dragoon replica and find that a full disassembly is needed with it ... the residue seems to find its way into everything.

thx

Premod70
PostsCOLON 106
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: Rifle Cleaning Q's

Post by Premod70 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Don't worry about the crude migrating into the action when shooting black. Patch the barrel with a water soluble solution until it's clean and lightly oil, that's it.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1045
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:40 am

I fully agree with Premod70 comments about cleaning the bore but I do clean the action a couple of times a year. The following is my technique, which does not require disassembly of the receiver/action:

Cleaning and lubricating the action is relatively easy with spray cleaners and lubricants. Disassembling the action is not required, but I highly recommend removing the stock and forearm to prevent cleaning solvent and oils from soaking into the wood or damaging the finish. To clean the action without disassembly, follow these steps:
1. Remove the stock and forearm. Refer to the disassembly instructions and warnings when removing the stock.
2 Using a gun cleaning solvent and a non-marring pick or similar tool, loosen attached debris from the area around the breech face and extractor slot. An old toothbrush is an ideal tool.
3. Flush out the action with a good aerosol cleaner/degreaser solvent. It’s a good idea to do this outside the house or in the garage. I have found that aerosol break cleaner from a local auto parts store works as well as the more expensive brands marketed as firearm cleaners. With the action open, direct the spray into all areas of the action, both from above and below. When spraying the bottom of the open action, make it a point to aim the spray nozzle at the mainsprings, trigger assemblies, down the sides of the breech block and the area around the firing pin if it can be reached. Continue to spray until all debris is removed and the spray solvent runs clean. Spraying the action over a few layers of a white paper towel will provide a good indicator when all the debris is removed. If available, compressor air will also help. If an air compressor is not available a can of compressed gas for cleaning dust and lint off electronics and optics may work as well. I keep a can handy on my work bench.
3. Allow a few minutes for the solvent to dry then spray the action from above and below with high-quality aerosol corrosion preventative lubrication oil. I like Remington’s RemOil. Lay the action on a towel for a few minutes to catch any runoff. You’re now “back in business” with a clean and lubricated action.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

Brat4590
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 pm

Post by Brat4590 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:25 pm

thx for the replies gentlemen ... very helpful

bigwat@kanokla.net
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Post by bigwat@kanokla.net » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm

I agree with everything posted. I have found a good BP cleaning solution of equal parts hydrogen peroxide, Murphys Oil Soap and rubbing alcohol works great for cleaning you barrel. I have used it on my C Sharps 1874 Bridgeport with great results. Soak a few patches, run them through, a couple of dry patches, and oiled patch and a dry patch and your done.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 106
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Always finish my barrel clening with a wet patch of Ballistol, nothing puts a stop to rust better.

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 42
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Watch that cleaning solution given above. Muzzle loaders have used it for years, and it works good but can spontaneously combust. Keep it in a dark brown jar. I read some where why it combusts, but not being a chemist, I failed to understand. I use hot water and dish soap. Works fine for me. Good luck
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

James
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 am

Post by James » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:29 pm

been using 50:50 anti freeze and water to clean

then dry
then oil to preserve
?
been working well for years?

BUTTON_POST_REPLY