Armi Sport Sharps

Items of primary interest to the new BPCR shooter. Loading, BP SAFETY, sources of materials, rifles, etc.
dmills
PostsCOLON 3
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Post by dmills » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Frankly, the opinions expressed here are why there have been only a few new posts on this entire forum in 2009. NOT everyone who wants to shoot a few black powder cartridges needs or wants to spend $2xxx on a rifle. I have an IAB that I bought used and I have a lot of fun shooting it once a month or so. I have mounted the Lee Shaver economical vernier sight and a front globe. I used to read here extensively and appreciated the guidance. But the snobbish opinions held by many of you fine folk made me ashamed of my rife. Stupidity. With no more new posts than I am seeing, I won't be back. I will continue to shoot and be satisfied with my choice. Hasta la vista. BTW, do not bother to reply--I won't read it.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Glad this got brought back up. :D
Last month my C Sharps had a problem with the transfer bar during a shoot. Called on Monday morning, Wednesday noon the gun was back up and running with a set of new parts (no fitting required), sent back the broken parts, the next week a set of replacements arrived,no charge. Quite a bit different than all the crap I went thru trying to get the part for my Taylor, not to mention the 2 hours of careful stoning filing and fitting it took me to install that part :shock:

ian45662
PostsCOLON 116
JoinedCOLON Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:02 am

Post by ian45662 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:14 am

You could just do what I did and that is buy a half way descent trapdoor unless you have to have a sharps. An 84 or later trapdoor comes with great sights and they are already calibrated. Its not as accurate as a shiloh but it will smack the steel targets and its almost 130 years old. I paied 700 dollars for it and its a pretty good shooter.

bryany
PostsCOLON 65
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:04 am
LocationCOLON Wyoming

Post by bryany » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:51 am

This thread is as relevant now as it was a month ago. You get what you pay for.

Another point is that a great rifle shot can make less expensive equipment perform well than a less skillful person might. It also seems to me that better equipment can help an average shot perform better, at least that is what I am hoping for.

I have shot Pedersoli 1874 Sharps rifles for 12-13 years and have had some success at times. It was a great platform to learn how to load ammo and manage a rifle during a match. It helped me put a value on sights and it was the best way to buy a rifle over the counter. I luckily chose a Silhouette model first instead of a Quigley model. After shooting muzzleloaders for some years, the size and shape of the butt plate can make or break a shooting experience.

If you are just in to some recreational plinking, buy and shoot whatever you want. If you aspire to try your hand at match shooting whether it is gongs, silhouettes, or target rifle, save your money a bit longer and research what good choices you have.

Bryan
none of us are as dumb as all of us

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:21 am

Well the original question posted in this thread, is about the Quality of Armi Sport Sharps rifles. The answer remains the same, its a crap shoot you might get a ringtailed shooter that'll shoot lights out from the get go, you might get 1500$ worth of scrap metal. The one I have is somewhere in the middle, the barrel is excellent, exterior finish is good, internally the lock and triggers are a mess.
Pedersoli rifles are almost always of good quality, once in awhile a bad one slips thru, but not as often.
For the price difference between a Pedersoli and a Big Timber made rifle at this point in time the choice is easy, go with one of the Big Timber rifles.

Bakebfr480
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Re: Armi Sport Sharps

Post by Bakebfr480 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:27 am

They're junk in my opinion!

BUTTON_POST_REPLY