help getting started with bullet casting

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
jdavis
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

help getting started with bullet casting

Post by jdavis » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:20 pm

I have decided to give casting a go. At first, casting came to mind while trying to affordably feed my creedmore 45/70 rifle. It seems that I can drop the price from little over a buck a round to a little over .25 cent a round. As I began reserching casting it occured to me that casting is cool stuff. So here I am trying to figure out what equipment to buy. As for a furnace, I think the best thing I can do is purchace a well made furnace that offords good temp. Control and has digital temp. readout. A quality unit. Life has tought me that when learning how to do somthing one is far better off if the eqipment used can be trusted. That brings me to the question of what furnace to buy. My reserch has shown me that two units fit the bill and fall within my price range. One is the RCBS pro 2 unit and the the other is Lyman Mag 25. It seems that the RCBS unit is not available anywhere. Can anyone advise me on the lyman Mag 25. Reviews seem good, with exception of the mold guide and lack of an on/off switch. Or, any other furnace. Also, any input on lyman and lee molds.

Thanks

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: help getting started with bullet casting

Post by Brent » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:41 pm

If I were buying a new pot, I would look at the Lee 20# pot, but the new Lyman 25# pot looks pretty darn good. I would convert it a ladle-only pot though and get rid of the bottom pour stuff.

I use a pot I really like that came from a plumber's supplier. I forget the name, but is pretty popular with folks back then.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:35 am

I also try to buy quality stuff and stared with an expensive RCBS bottom pour pot ( which I now use for ladle casting ). I later picked up a couple of Lee 20 lb pots and although they are much cheaper, they work better. The temperature varies less than my RCBS pot. I suppose that they might not last as long, but I've had them for a few years and they are still working.

Learning to cast perfect bullets is kind of fun. The main thing I'd advise is to ignore bottom pouring. I started out that way but learned that ladle pouring is the way to go if you want the highest quality bullets.

Chris.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396

Post by gunlaker » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 am

Brent maybe the pot you are referring to is a Waage? I recently picked one up from BACO as it apparently holds 25lbs. I have yet to try it, but it seems well built.

Chris.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:18 am

YEs, it is a Waage. I couldn't pull the name up from my deep memory banks. Thanks.

You are right about ignoring bottom pouring. But I sure don't know why it can't work as good, or even better than ladling but that is the way it is.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Plainbase
PostsCOLON 120
JoinedCOLON Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:26 am
LocationCOLON Out West

Post by Plainbase » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:11 am

Especially for the large heavy bullets you will be casting for your Creedmoor forget bottom pouring. Positive contact with a ladle is the only way to go. A Lee 20 pound pot will get you started just fine. All electric pots cycle over and under your setting. Guys go to great lengths with PID controllers to minimize the cycling but it still will. I use a propane fired gas pot which can maintain a steady temp. As for molds, Lee makes inexpensive molds that can work well. I have several - however, I have been casting for 60 years. Just starting out you might cause yourself some problems. Lyman molds can be a crapshoot these days but they do make a couple of molds you might be interested in, the Snover and the Creedmoor. A good one can be very good and most are but a bad one can turn up. I probably have 3 dozen of them. RCBS makes a good mold as does Saeco. Buffalo Arms makes extremely good molds and they have great options for your Creedmoor. There are also custom mold makers of good repute such as Steve Brooks. They cost more but the value is there and they are easy to sell if you decide you need a different one. The alloy you use will influence the quality of your bullets and even their performance. I have found that 1 to 20 is the most accurate in my rifles except that long nosed bullets require 1 to 16. Have fun and be safe.
Plainbase

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396

Post by gunlaker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am

With respect to molds, it won't hurt to buy something cheap to learn to cast. However you'll get best results with a mold that is made by a quality manufacturer and one that is a proven design for your rifle's chamber. The easiest way to pick a bullet is to find someone who has the same rifle as you, and does well with it. This person will often not be the one with the most internet posts, be wary of some of the stuff you see on the internet :lol: :lol:

These days I rarely buy anything other than Buffalo Arms bullet molds. I have some by Steve Brooks and he does a great job too. My next mold might come from Boomers molds up here in Canada as I've heard good things about his molds but have never tried them.

Chris.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY