Barrel leading

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Barrel leading

Post by Rantheman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

I was wondering if somebody may have insight as to why leading is occurring with black powder but not with smokeless? Been shooting my Taylors sharps, uberti '73 Winchester, and buffalo classic with smokeless. I lube with lee alox and johnsons paste wax and have never had a problem. Couple of months ago, I switched to black powder and there is goodly deposits of lead in each. Same bullets but since all on here say I must use black powder lube I bought some Doug knowell lube and concocted my own. Both show leading. Why can't I just stick with the alox? Maybe just wipe between shots. The black powder lube seems to be awful soft and messy. Any thoughts?

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Re: Barrel leading

Post by gunlaker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 pm

You can get leading a few ways. I can't make any comments on your lube as all I use is either SPG or DGL.

I would suspect that your bullets might be too hard and perhaps undersized. Basically you want to ensure that when the powder goes off the bullet bumps up to seal the bore otherwise it will gas cut and lead the bore.

Another problem can be fouling control. If you are letting hard fouling build up in the bore it can strip off bits of lead from the bullet. It's quite easy for this to happen.

Chris.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY