Homemade lube

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Homemade lube

Post by Rantheman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:50 pm

I posted a question about black powder shoot on here but I mentioned I was using triple seven and I was somewhat chastised but then was told where to get it. I ordered from buffalo arms and now I am using real black powder. Since I am casting my own I decided that I needed a good lube and the reciepes on here are myriad so I decided on the crisco, beeswax, canola oil, and lanolin. It won't stick to the bullets. I have increased crisco and oil but then it gets too soft. The original reciepe is too hard. Anybody got advice on something to add to get lube to stick to bullets? Or are the ingredients okay and I just need to keep increasing or decreasing until it sticks.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Homemade lube

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:15 am

I don't know what to add to what you have got, but I just use 50% Beeswax, 50% sheep tallow (from Dixiegunworks.com) and then give it a shot of oil - usually jojoba oil. Not sure how to quantify that but a few tablespoons I suppose in a pound or two of lube.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39

Post by Rantheman » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 pm

I looked on Dixie gun works site and I can not find sheep tallow but I did find it on amazon for $18 8oz. Not sure if that is right stuff or not. How do you enter it on Dixie website?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:56 pm

It was a while ago, but I just did a search on "tallow" I think.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

ole pizen slinger
PostsCOLON 34
JoinedCOLON Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:34 pm
LocationCOLON Black Mountain, N.C.

Post by ole pizen slinger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39

Post by Rantheman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:04 pm

Got it. Thanks much. That's a good deal. Going to order some now

Arnie
PostsCOLON 321
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:25 pm
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Are you pan lubing ? If so you need to heat the bullets up pretty warm before you pour the lube in the pan around the bullets .After the first lube cake ,I just replace new bullets into the hard cake and place it back into the pan and heat it in the oven at 200 for about 35 minutes .

kcajeel
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm
LocationCOLON NW Michigan

Post by kcajeel » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:18 pm

If you can get by with that in your house, please tell me your secrets.

Arnie
PostsCOLON 321
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:42 pm

If your asking me ,not married .

kcajeel
PostsCOLON 17
JoinedCOLON Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm
LocationCOLON NW Michigan

Post by kcajeel » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:05 pm

I was asking you Arnie. I've not been married three or four times, but it's really expensive anymore for me to be "not married" so I guess I'll honor the kitchen rule.
I lose too many things when I change my tax status.

firefighter1990
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:04 pm
LocationCOLON Boise, ID

Post by firefighter1990 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:19 am

When I first started down the path of casting and shooting black-powder; I only bought one little brick of spg and all I have ever done was pan-lube. Spg is good stuff but sadly it's way over priced for what can easily be made at home and I have always made my own since that first brick. My personal recipe is pure filtered bees wax, anhydrous lanolin, and depending on what time of year; either olive oil or peanut oil as they have different viscosity and flash points. I mix with a ratio of 1:1:1 and that's by volume not by weight.

With the lubes I tried, there were sometimes it didn't fill the grooves completely too but it's an easy fix and here's my secret to good pan-lubing. I use an electric cook top to melt the lube in my pan, I don't double boil unless it's a gas cooktop as the open flame may ignite the beeswax. Place the bullets in the pan and add your lube till you get the right volume and use low heat to prevent scorching. it's important to have the bullets heated up in this manor or else the lube will make air pockets on the cold bullet (same concept as pouring hot lead into a cold mould). Space your bullet, do not over crowd the pan. Last and most importantly is how the bullets are removed from the lube cake. I use an old cartridge case that is slightly over sized and has the primer pocket drilled out to accommodate a plunger to push the bullet out. Slipping the case over the bullet makes for a shearing effect that cleanly cuts the lube away from the cake and does it perfectly everytime without greasy fingers.

Arnie
PostsCOLON 321
LocationCOLON Lodi,Ca.

Post by Arnie » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:29 pm

kcajeel Toaster oven out side

BUTTON_POST_REPLY