bottom pouring... Bad?

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
wyoduster
PostsCOLON 99
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 pm

bottom pouring... Bad?

Post by wyoduster » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:46 am

Been bottom pouring since I started this game.. My bullets vary 1+/- gn. and are sorted accordingly :?
I've been told often that the only way to a good bullet is ladle pouring.. I know, I know.. My wife says I never listen to her either... :roll:
So why not bottom pour??
In trying to justify : I don't think a grain or so of difference matters being they are weighed and sorted anyway...
I must say my bullets are lighter than if all else was the same and I ladle poured..
Tested last eve.: Paul Jones creedmoor bullet 420 gn.. Bottom pouring I'm pouring a steady 416 +/- gn bullet , and with the ladle I poured 418+/- gn. bullet.
Am I missing something ??
Lead 20:1 pouring with RCBS pot and PID at 496 degrees
The only difference I see is The ladle poured bullets are shinier .. :?:

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: bottom pouring... Bad?

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 pm

If it works for you and the target says all is well, then there's no problem
I have a couple of moulds that do alright with bottom pouring, if I use the locking handles, but by and large ladle pouring has been the best when pouring bullets over 300 gr.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:56 pm

I have heard of a few people saying that they get better bullets bottom pouring. It definitely does not work that way for me.

Several years ago I was using a bottom pour pot and finally decided to try ladle casting. I always thought that it would take too long to get the hang of, and would not likely make much difference so I put it off.

Then I decided to spend a day at it and was really pleased with the result. I would never switch back to bottom pouring. As long as I'm not interrupted, and the mold is clean and up to temperature, it's no problem to cast 100 530gr bullets that are within +/- 0.3gr. Fillout is very consistent. When casting my 200gr .32 cal schuetzen bullets, I can get tolerances quite a bit better than that too.

I'll bet that if you try it you'll like it.

Chris.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 96
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Bottom pour will run with the ladle up to around 300 grains of bullet but after that the ladle betters the other. I bottom pour all my bullets because I use a lot of scrap lead and the constant film of scum at the top of the pot defeats any advantage the ladle may hold. For me it's a RCBS pot and whatever comes out the bottom is OK for my mediocre shooting. The ladle is for those guys that are willing to use pure lead, pure tin, PID's and the likes for the slight advantage it gives a competitive shooter.

George Babits
PostsCOLON 166
JoinedCOLON Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:20 pm
LocationCOLON Salmon, Idaho

Post by George Babits » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:14 pm

I ladle cast for a long time when I started out casting. About 40 years ago I went to bottom pour and I wouldn't go back to ladle pouring for anything. I cast bullets from 115 to 550 grains with the bottom pour with many different alloys. My first bottom pour was a Lee "production pot." that didn't work worth crap. I finally pulled out the valve and sealed the bottom orfice. Used it with a ladel for a few years. Finally got an RCBS pot and gave the lee thing away. Never looked back. If you are going to use bottom pour you need a good pot.

George

45bpcr
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Sat May 09, 2009 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Live Free or Die

Post by 45bpcr » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:03 am

Hello my friend,

Your missing one key fact.
Shiny bullets are more accurate, everybody "knows" this.

Think about it.

All the bullet pictures you see, be they posted on the internet or in magazines are shiny correct?
And all the folks taking pictures and writing about these bullets do great and wondrous things with them do they not?
Do you ever see pictures of ugly bullets?
Of course you don't, reason being, they're not capable of great and wondrous things.

The same holds true with brass.

Brass that's clean but dull colored won't shoot.
It has to be shiny, hence our obsession with tumblers, pins, potions, media and polishes.

So, IMHO, to achieve a truly winning combination, one needs shiny bullets AND shiny brass.

Perhaps an extra step is in order with your bottom poured bullets.

After casting, weighing and sorting them, you could polish them while your sitting with the Misses in the evening.
Of course, that would take two hands, so you'd also have to convince the Misses to hold your Bourbon for you and let you drink it through a straw.

Merry Christmas my Friend,
C

Kurt
PostsCOLON 648
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 pm

:D I hide my ugly bullets under two layers of paper :D

Rantheman
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Post by Rantheman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:42 pm

Just finished a session of casting today. Been using lead pot and ladles but couple months ago got a a bottom pour pot. I can not get good 500 grain bullets with it. The pistol bullets were ok but rifle bullets just did not seem to work well. Ended up using ladle and the 500's turned out well. Probably because I am used to ladle. Been using a lee 459-500-3R mold. Not real happy with it. Anybody suggest a better one?

45bpcr
PostsCOLON 128
JoinedCOLON Sat May 09, 2009 4:50 am
LocationCOLON Live Free or Die

Post by 45bpcr » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Wyoduster,

No matter how you cast you bullets you shoot just as good as I do.
It'll be good to shoot with you again next year

45BPCR

wyoduster
PostsCOLON 99
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Post by wyoduster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:56 am

45bpcr wroteCOLONWyoduster,

No matter how you cast you bullets you shoot just as good as I do.
It'll be good to shoot with you again next year

45BPCR
It will be good to see you again ole buddy.. But I'm thinking its your wife that's starting to shoot better than both of us.. :roll: oh and by the way..... my brass makes my bullets look good. like "lipstick on a pig" :lol:

BUTTON_POST_REPLY