Pan Lubing: Problems and suggestions

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Pan Lubing: Problems and suggestions

Post by SgtDog0311 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:43 pm

I've pan lubed thousands and it usually takes me a matter of minutes to do a pan of 50 but until this year I've pan lubed for smokeless. One of the ingredients of my lube is Vaseline which I understand is made from petroleum products -- and that's not good for for BP, right? I've actually pan lubed maybe five hundred or so with my mix for BP shooting with no problems with leading but I have not done any sustained shooting in really hot weather and don't want to flush out problems in a match with my beeswax (50%) Crisco (40%) and Vaseline (10%) mix.

So onward and upward I go this year with Black Powder. I've read a lot of lube threads but I had some SPG under my bench so double-boilered a plate and had considerable difficulty separating the cake from the pan when I was done. Second batch was worse. Much worse. I saved the bullets but destroyed the pan and wound up having to take them out of the top rather than pushing them through a separated cake.

Anyone have similar issues with SPG, have any suggestions, or have a good BP lube formula that doesn't cling to the bottom like an alien blob intent on sucking the life from my pan before turning lose?

Appreciate any input.

mick b
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 am

Re: Pan Lubing: Problems and suggestions

Post by mick b » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:27 pm

Buy a cup cake baking tray made from silicone, these are like rubber and oven proof. Each section will hold about 7 bullets and there are six sections in the one I use = 42 bullets at a time. When the lube has set, ( don't let it get completely cold ), simply bend the tray and the cakes will be easily removed and you can push out the bullets. SPG works just fine if you're using black powder, don't waste your time making up secret lube recipes unless you have lots of time, this time could be better spent practicing.
Mike.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:30 pm

I put a layer of my parchment paper between the lube cake and the pan. It works far better than wax paper or saran wrap. I get it for free from my wife's drawer in the kitchen :-)

One piece usually lasts quite a few pan lubing sessions.

Chris.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:58 am

Excellent ideas Gentlemen. Thanks!

mick b
PostsCOLON 4
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 am

Post by mick b » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:03 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention, if you are lubeing more that 42 bullets after you push out the bullets put the lube cakes back in the cupcake tray and put the next lot of bullets base first in the holes left. Then put the tray back in the oven to re melt the lube.
I would suggest also that you do all of this when she isn't home.
Mike.

Kurt
PostsCOLON 648
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Kurt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Just put the pan with the lube when it sets in the freezer for a 1/2 hour and the sticking lube will shrink and fall out fall out of the pan easy.

My lube mix is Soy wax or Ozokerite wax 50/50 mix and add a little peanut oil to thin it down the way I use it. Oz wax is also a mineral wax.
For the Muzzle loader I use straight Vaseline for patch lube and it lets me shoot the whole match with out wiping.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY