PP - trying the new paper

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

PP - trying the new paper

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:43 am

After finding - and it did need an lengthy search - some Staedtler patching paper I finally managed to patch us some bullets and test them. To make things simple, I have a single PP bullet - a straight copy of the Metford bullet, which casts right at .450 in 1:16 alloy.
My normal patching paper brings it up to .458, the Staedtler sketch paper makes is .454 - which means somewhere between bore and groove.

To keep things simple, I Used my accuracy load for my rifle - a WR ZAR martini action with Eichelberger bareel, chambered in no.2 Musket (500/450).
Load data as follows:

87 grs of Swiss no. 5 (Fg) with card overpowder wad. This is with a very light compression
Bullet seated to touch the rifling lightly
CCI BR2 primer
All of this in the trusty bertram cases

Wiping routine: 2 moist patches with oil/water mixture, followed by a single dry patch.

All of this was shot at the local range - which has a max of75m, prone, with sling, no support, on the ISSF 25m pistol target. As I was also starting out with a new lot of powder, this means 2 variables changed (I know..). But things went pretty well, even though I do have my doubts as to the new lot of Swiss Fg - it does seem to produce quite a bit more fouling. And it is seriously heavier than my last lot (about 3-4 grains for a single charge of powder, which is quite a serious difference in my book)

1st 2 shots were high and left, in the 9-ring. After correction for vertical, the next one was good for elevation, but still a 9 at 9 o'clock. Which was duly corrected.

The next shots landed in the 10-ring (a bit low), except for 2 low shots in the 9-ring - which means a score of 98 including the sighters (and the nut-behind issues). So yes, it does shoot at least as well as the other paper. Now I'm waiting for so;e decent weather to try it at some longer ranges....

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: PP - trying the new paper

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 am

Always feels good when a plan comes together :)

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:36 am

Here's me hoping for some better weather in the coming weekends, so that I can do a thorough test at longer ranges - 200 and 300 meters. That would tell me quite a bit more.

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:50 pm

martinibelgian wroteCOLONMy normal patching paper brings it up to .458, the Staedtler sketch paper makes is .454 - which means somewhere between bore and groove.
Do you patch with wet paper, or dry?
Putting them on while dry may give a bit more diameter.
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:46 pm

When patching, I only wet the ends - just to make sure the patch sticks: the beginning, in order to have the patch stick a bit to the bullet, and the end, to make sure the tail end doesn't unwind. The rest remains dry.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
LocationCOLON Belgium

Post by martinibelgian » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Fired a few shots today at 200m - even though conditions were far from ideal: Temps around freezing point, and a headwind of about 30 mph - it was COLD! Called it a day after 8 shots, but I got a group the size of the 9-ring (about 4 MOA - 10 is 2 MOA) excepting a shot, with by no means perfect letoffs: shooting with gloves isn't all that handy, and the wind was gusting so strong I actually could see the sights moving with the gusts - and that's with sling tension.... NO rest or support, though, just the elbows.
So, seems the potential is there, but the conditions weren't exactly cooperating today.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY