Bullets

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
Lincoln Creek
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Bullets

Post by Lincoln Creek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:23 pm

The last of the swaged bullets. I only have 15 left. I'll load them for the Rams. The most uniform bullet I've shot. I got them from BACO years ago. They no longer carry them. I have been also purchasing some postells from Sage Outfitters. I just figured my matches I'll try to attend next year and I'll need around 1500 bullets. That's $1,000 of bullets. Ouch!
I will make the switch from buying bullets to casting my own this winter. I have no casting or lubricating equipment so I have no knowledge about it. Any help about equipment and techniques would be helpful.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.36 KiB) Viewed 2342 times

semtav
PostsCOLON 234
JoinedCOLON Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Bullets

Post by semtav » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:36 pm

buy a PP bullet mould and save a lot of money on unneeded supplies :)

Lincoln Creek
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Mon May 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Post by Lincoln Creek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:50 pm

semtav wroteCOLONbuy a PP bullet mould and save a lot of money on unneeded supplies :)
I'm seriously thinking about it. I have a Bowning BPCR in 45-70. I was going to make the switch from blow tubing to wiping this winter anyway. I just need to get more information on a PP bullet that might work well in my rifle. I'll be loading it with Goex cartridge powder and using starline brass with CCI BR2 primers.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:17 pm

You'll probably find it easy to find a mold that shoots well for that rifle. The Saeco #745 works well in mine, as does the BACO Money in .459" ( no tapered bands ). The one that my rifle seems to like best is a .460" Brooks Creedmoor with two reduced bands.

I played a little with shooting paper patched bullets in mine ( BACO 446535 ) and it looked promising.

Chris.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1644
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:24 pm

If you are going to go to paper patching, you won't do a lot better than this prolate mould.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Bullet_Molds ... x?CAT=4161

You might ask them to open it up to .444" or so, depending on your paper and bore. When in doubt, go bigger and then size down after patching with a Lee push-through sizing die.

For lubing, all you really need are two pots, one that nests inside the other (or a dedicated double boiler) and a flat bottom cake or pie pan. It doesn't get much easier.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Big sky components sells most of his 45 cal greasers for 650$ per thousand.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY