messy, inconsistent lube application

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

messy, inconsistent lube application

Post by horseman308 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:42 am

I've got a new-to-me Lyman 4500 lube-sizer with the heating element. I use the Emmert's lube recipe for lube. For the life of me, I can't seem to get the process correct for consistently applying lube to the bullet. I make sure to let the heating element go for a good 15-20 minutes before I get to work. I get one of two events most of the time; either not enough lube and some of the grooves are bare (so then I re-lube) or a giant mess where lube comes spilling out of the top. I'd guess only about 25% of the time am I getting a bullet with full grooves and comes out clean. I also get a ton of lube in the sizing die, so the base of the bullets is usually pretty gooey. I try to only turn the valve on the reservoir enough to keep the sizing-die loaded, but I also end up feeling like I have to turn it around 1/4-turn every couple of bullets (or more) due to the squeeze out factor.

And I assume that a bullet with extra lube stuck to the base or the nose is gonna have some degree of accuracy problem, right? I try to wipe off the excess as best I can without scraping it out of the grooves, but this is the most annoying part of reloading and it really makes it an unpleasant process.

What am I doing wrong?
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

WVsmoke
PostsCOLON 16
JoinedCOLON Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Re: messy, inconsistent lube application

Post by WVsmoke » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:54 pm

I have used a lyman lube-i-sizer over the years as well as pan lubing. There are advantages and pitfalls with both systems. I cannot say exactly what your issues are, but I never used a heater with my sizer for BPCR. The heater was only recommended for hard cast bullet smokeless lubes which are much harder. That said, I did have to wipe all my bullet bases on a paper towel to clean them. If you do not, the wad can stick to your bullet causing inconsistencies. Also after doing a batch of bullets, I would have to clean excess lube inside the bottom of the press. Also you do have to adjust the press to align the bullet in the press so that the grooves line up with the sizer ports. If not, you may be forcing lube beneath the bullet. Re-read the instructions and unplug the heater and see how it goes. Even with that I did have to keep adjusting things, and clean the bases and recycle excess lube. Hope this helps..... Allan

horseman308
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Re: messy, inconsistent lube application

Post by horseman308 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks, Alan. I hadn't thought about aligning the grooves and the ports. That makes a lot of sense. I'll give that - and unplugging - a whirl.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY