lubing bullets does it get old?

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
wyoduster
PostsCOLON 99
JoinedCOLON Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:35 pm

lubing bullets does it get old?

Post by wyoduster » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:45 am

How far in advance can you lube bullets? :?:
Does it get old and brittle? :?:
Does it shrink or dry up? :?:

I've been casting/sizing/lubing bullets for this upcoming BPCR season(march-October) and last eve had this thought... :shock:
I use SPG lube ... Anyone have the answer??? :roll:

Premod70
PostsCOLON 90
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Re: lubing bullets does it get old?

Post by Premod70 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:45 am

If your lube is Ok where it is stored and your bullets are stored in the same area there is no reason I know of why the lube can 't be on the bullet. Loaded and stored can be a problem with the Alox lubes but if using grease and bees wax I know of no problem.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 83
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:04 pm

Just throwing this up there.....

My good friend and shooting buddy here in Oz, who has shot many times in the Australian Team, all over the world, recently out shot me with some loads that were 20 years old.
We both shot well, but his loads shot as good as they did when he loaded them, 20 years ago.
Unfortunately he couldn't remember the recipe. hahahaha. Silly old man. :lol:

Brent
PostsCOLON 1592
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Lubing gets old as in boring. With paper patches there is no lube or lubing to grow old or tiring or boring... :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

SgtDog0311
PostsCOLON 69
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 am

Post by SgtDog0311 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:16 pm

I've seen a kind of leaching when storing lubed bullets in a plastic ammo tray, even with SPG. Have taken to wrapping all my lube, lube cakes and lubed bullets in cellophane if they are gonna sit a while for fear some evaporation or drying out might occur.

Used to lube a lot and put those bullets short enough in empty skoal cans. Something about a 50/40/10 lube of Beeswax/Crisco/Vaseline don't set well over time. Bullets looked like they had been stored down by the ocean. Had a glaze that looked like fine salt over all of them. I called them my spider mite bullets. But that is my smokeless lube and it gets less use nowadays and I don't load more than maybe four months out, usually less. I'm sure they'd shoot and lubricate just fine but they'd make for an ugly cartridge.

Loaded rounds, I don't worry too much about that one exposed lube groove and the others are near enough sealed.

More often than not though I lube and load up a rack before each match.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY