Any body try powdwer coating ???

Discussion on Bullets and Bullet Lubes, Casting, Swaging, Paper Patching, and Lube Cookies.
scamp62
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:27 pm
LocationCOLON Los Angeles

Any body try powdwer coating ???

Post by scamp62 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:03 am

As stated in the header.."any body here try powder coating there bullets" of so please let us know how it worked for you.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1551
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Any body try powdwer coating ???

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:35 am

Haven't tried to do it myself, but have bought some commercial made ones. Surprisingly enough they work pretty good with bp in the 38-40, but much better with smokeless.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 am

I have thought about it a lot. Not tried it. Technically, they are not legal for competition in any of the games I shoot, so that is a factor as well.

Its and interesting idea but one that is easily matched by paper patching, so their appeal is a bit limited for me.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

jime444
PostsCOLON 2
JoinedCOLON Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Post by jime444 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:50 pm

I have and it works well. It's not legal except for cowboy action, I believe. that and the occasional messing around at the range. I have shot them on BPCR and scheutzen bullets and it works pretty well, maybe not as good as carefully lubed bullets, but pretty darn good. Not legal, though.
I use HF red powder (it's cheap); a old vibratory tumbler, .38pistol bullets (slightly hardened lead) and a easy bake oven. lots of you-tube videos on the topic.

tumble bullets in vibrator filled with airsoft plastic pellets for about 5 minutes or so. powder coat will stick nicely; pull them out with a slotted spoon and pour onto oven tray coated with non-stick foil, 20 minutes at 400degF using a electronic oven thermometer to monitor. Let cool. you get proficient at it you can make about 500/hr doing it this way........last week, I made 4000 in about a day of work........I cast bullets at the same time in a 5ea. lee gang mold. it's pretty damn efficient multitasking and in a couple of days, I'm set for the next year of CAS.

I run them through the .358 sizer (lee) as fast as I can load it. the bullets size nicely and are slick and shiny. red lipstick shiny, sexy even..... you can pound a bullet flat and the powder coat stays on. in my Win73; they'll shoot less than 1inch groups at 50 yards all day with 3.5gr of trailboss. basicially, use the same bullets for my revolvers.... even better, a simple wet patch through the bore and then a dry one and cleaning is done.........!!!! absolutely no leading, lube or any other deposits........you are basically shooting a plastic coated(saboted) bullet.
beats any other kind of tumble lube or wet lube on lead bullets......I can heartily recommend it..

Brent
PostsCOLON 1523
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:41 pm

I dont think these are legal for CLA, but it's been a half year or more since I looked into it.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY