Drop tube technique.

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Drop tube technique.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share this to anyone who doesn't already know.
I've been drop tubing for quite a while now, trying all variations to get consistency.
I found pouring the powder into the tube, very slowly, made for more powder in the case and better consistency.

So.... because I am not happy taking 6 or 7 seconds to pour 70 odd grains slowly down the tube, I decided to place a funnel with a smaller opening into the top of the tube.
Now I just dump the powder in, and let it trickle away at its own pace, leaving me to ready the next case.
By the time I've fitted the wad, and put that cartridge into the box, the next one is ready to go.

Seems to be working well at this stage.... just saying.

Cheers Ian in Oz.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1587
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Drop tube technique.

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:31 pm

Ian,
I like what you are doing but I take it one step further. I made a vibrator out of a 3V motor and an off-centered 25 caliber bullet. This helps keep the powder flowing in the top funnel and settles it nicely in the case as it arrives at the bottom. Yes, it might be overkill, but what's not to like?

Looks like this:
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Re: Drop tube technique.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:10 am

"What's not to like ?"

Nothin..... Love your work.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY