compressing black powder

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Re: compressing black powder

Post by horseman308 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:57 pm

Fair point. My real goal in accuracy is to reliably hit the 500m ram and so forth in silhouettes. That's the farthest I have to shoot anywhere near me, anyway.

I'll see if any local shooters to.me will go in on a group buy.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 pm

I suspect the bullet. Get up around 500 grains. They do take up a lot more case room though.
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

horseman308
PostsCOLON 62
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 am

Old Soldier wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 pm
I suspect the bullet. Get up around 500 grains. They do take up a lot more case room though.
I'm looking for a new mold, now. My current bullet (Lee 459-500r) drops at 480g in a 20:1 alloy, but I don't think it was really supposed to be a BPCR bullet. I also have been gently chastised for using regular GOEX (due to it being locally available) and may need to get some Old E. or Swiss.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1690
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:15 am

Swiss will beat Old E every time. Truly.

There are lots of good bullets out there. Buy a good mould and you will never regret the money you invested in it. A BACO mould is a great place to look for a winning bullet mould. There is a lot of well traveled ground. Look for what is making the most trips to the winner's circle and avoid reinventing the wheel. :)
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 am

I don't know about this Swiss beats out OE every time business.
Both are good powders, and it's not unusual for someone shooting OE to be repsonsible for certain Swiss devotee's to be on suicide watch after the scores are posted. :wink:

Brent
PostsCOLON 1690
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:59 am

Don, we have been through this a dozen times. Top shooters shoot Swiss. it's as simple as that. Most, if not all of them have tried old E, all of them, continue to shoot Swiss.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1584
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 am

Yup , but that doesn't take into account the shooters that aren't top shooters still at times shoot the same or in some instances better scores than the "top" shooters. I would venture it has about as much to do with shooter/spotter abilities/experience than it does the powder. It also doesn't take into account there a good many of the "top" shooters that haven't tried OE, they have no reason to as their Swiss loads are working.
At the Wyoming state midrange Championship, I had the second highest x count using OE.
Eddie was shooting OE at Lodi, and later on in the year won the Dean Scoggins memorial match at Alliance.He has also shot his self into expert in long range using OE.

I also know a long time Swiss shooter that recently got ahold of a batch of OE, and says his rifle is shooting better with the OE than the Swiss.

Both are good powders, and it would benefit new shooters to try them both to see which they prefer. OE likes a little more compression and shows a preference in most guns with RP 9 1/2 primers, with br2's a close second.

Old Soldier
PostsCOLON 41
JoinedCOLON Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:25 am
LocationCOLON North Pole, Alaska

Post by Old Soldier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 am

Horseman, I understand the powder thing. We have to bring it in 100 pounds at a time to make it affordable, around $25 a pound. I mostly shoot a flint lock, so bought a bunch of Swiss FFFG. That is what I shoot BPCR with, cuz thats what I got. I don't have another $1000 to drop on powder to see if it works better. Do look to a better bullet. I recently got a SEACO 500 grain RN copy of the old Government bullet. Lots of weight in the nose, one less grease grove to shove into the case, lets me get 65 grains of FFG into the case with the same compression I was using with a different 500 grain bullet from RCBS. Look at the grease groves, you want lots of lube. I have 1 bullet from an original Winchester 500 grain mold. With the price of SPG the groves in that mold will scare you to death. So far the new bullet shows promise. Can't do any serious testing until it warms up some. Good luck
"I wish it to be remembered that I was the last of my tribe to surrender my rifle" Geronimo

BUTTON_POST_REPLY