45 70 neck sizing help

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
jdavis
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

45 70 neck sizing help

Post by jdavis » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:49 pm

I am a little confused with the correct way & depth to resize this case. My reloading procedure, written by Dick Trenk , for David Pedersoli rifles notes that the 47 / 70 cartridge should be necked down to the same depth as the bullit is seated in the cartridge. Mr. Trenk suggested that the full lenth sizing sizing be used for his necking proceedure. I have a lee die set that includes a neck sizing die. I tried to size the case to bullet seating depth (.618 inch) with this neck die. After adjusting the die to lee procedures and even after trying to adjust the die low in the reloader I could not size the neck to the bullet seat depth of .618 in.. Upon reviewing the lee instructions I read that the neck sizing die is designed for a max seating depth of .375 in.. I then utilized the full lenth sizing die. I ran the case into this die only enough to size the neck to the .618 in.
I hope that I can get input as to weather or not I am doing this right. Just to give a little data, the case outside diamiter before sizing was .475 at top of case and .481 at bullet seating depth. After sizing the case was .473 at top of case and .479 at bullet seating depth. This effectively redused the case outside diamiter on a even taper of .002 in.. The inner diamiter at top of case was redused from .456in. to .454in.. I am using starr brass and sagebrush Postell 538g bullets sized to .458in, .030 paper patch and goex II black powder. All to be used in a pedersoli long range creedmore rollingblock riflle.
This my first experiance with bpcr. Any guidence will mean a great deal to me.

Thanks

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 455
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Re: 45 70 neck sizing help

Post by martinibelgian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Size? why size? No need for it with BP.... MUCH simpler! Just use fireformed brass, unsized...

jdavis
PostsCOLON 24
JoinedCOLON Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm

Re: 45 70 neck sizing help

Post by jdavis » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Point well taken. Yeaserday, prior to my post, I had a flew shot and all kinds of other crap going on. Needles to say, I dont think I thougt things threw. I have a few fred cases I can use. As for new cases,I will nck size them.
Thanks

BUTTON_POST_REPLY