Drop tube technique

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
Ohio3Wheels
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm
LocationCOLON SW Ohio (Dayton

Drop tube technique

Post by Ohio3Wheels » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:28 pm

When using a drop tube do you dump the who charge into the funnel or trickle it in a little at a time? With my 40-65 and 2F I don't see a lot of difference in the column height between drop tube and straight out of the measure so suspect my technique is lacking. Also does the size of the funnel make a difference?
Thanks,
Curt

spurdude
PostsCOLON 123
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:01 pm
LocationCOLON Bailey, Co.
CONTACTCOLON

Re: Drop tube technique

Post by spurdude » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:27 pm

I use a 34 inch 1/4" id aluminum tube with a brass funnel, the kind Muzzle loaders use to fill a flask. It is adjustable inside the case up or down so I can place it just inside the case an 1/8" more or less. I dump in the funnel with a pan, the kind with a spout on one side and I tap or trickle the powder in the funnel to the count of 5 seconds, depending on the volume in the pan. I also use a sandwich plastic bag around the case, it just kind of rests there to catch any grains of powder that may jump out of the case during the process. The powder columns are generally about the same height but there is always the one or two that seem to settle a little high or lower than the rest. My nemesis is getting consistent compression, but that's for another topic. Good Luck. Al

Brent
PostsCOLON 1593
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 am

I use a 2-stage funnel system and vibrating motor to keep it all flowing.

I'm not from here, I just live here.

kokomokid
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by kokomokid » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:47 am

Brent, What are you using for a restrictor in the top funnel? Is it adjustable?

Brent
PostsCOLON 1593

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:25 am

No restrictor. It has a sufficiently small enough hole that it slows the flow sufficiently. In previous iterations, when I wanted to restrict the flow, I took a piece of bare copper wire and crimped one end to the top edge of the funnel and had the other end hanging down the hole of the funnel. That works well enough but takes some trial and error to get a wire of just the right diameter that you don't get bridging.

kokomokid
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:22 pm

Post by kokomokid » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:57 am

Why didnt I think of that. Thanks Brent.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1593

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 am

another thing you can use is a piece of stiff paper that is cut in a narrow triangle. Put the point partially over the hole in the funnel and tape it to the side of the funnel. You can adjust its position by moving the tape up or down. But the wire works better for me.

Ohio3Wheels
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm
LocationCOLON SW Ohio (Dayton

Post by Ohio3Wheels » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:12 am

Thank you all. Think I need to change to a smaller funnel.

Curt

BUTTON_POST_REPLY