What consistency for Emmert's

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ypsilanti, MI

What consistency for Emmert's

Post by horseman308 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:42 pm

I just made my first batch of Emmett's and realized I'm not certain what it's supposed to feel like. I did the 5/4/1 ratio of beeswax, crisco, and canola oil, and it came out nice and smooth in texture, which I assume is good. After letting it cool, it feels much firmer than I expected, though. If I take a small amount and rub it between my fingers it takes a about a minute to break down and get goopy, and it snaps somewhat crisply.

I'm really used to muzzleloader lubes that you wipe on a patch with your fingers, so this is new territory. My ML lube is Stumpy's Moose Snot (2/8/1 ratio of beeswax, castor oil, and Murphy's Oil Soap). How should the Emmett's feel by comparison?
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Ohio3Wheels
PostsCOLON 46
JoinedCOLON Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:47 pm
LocationCOLON SW Ohio (Dayton

Re: What consistency for Emmert's

Post by Ohio3Wheels » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:10 pm

I can only speak about the Emmert's that I've made about the same ratios as yours except I also add 1.5 oz of lanolin oil. I usually start with a pound of beeswax and add the other ingredients in proportion. What doesn't go into my Lyman 450 while still liquid I pour into a silicon muffin "tin" to store for remelting to pan lube. Once cooler the "pucks" have a slick feel to them but you have to rub a bit to get any of it to to come off on your finger. Right now it's about all I'm using for a variety of calibers up to 1800 to 2000 fps MV. So far it's working :) . All of the boolits in question are a tight fit to the bores which likely helps.

Make smoke,
Curt

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi Horseman308,

I think my Emmerts is about the same as Ohio3wheels' in consistency.

However, over here in Oz where we can be shooting on very hot days in Summer, and very cool days in Winter, I tend to harden it up a bit for the Summer.
Also make cookies out of the harder mix. Seems to work fine .

Cheers S/S.

jmdavis
PostsCOLON 5
JoinedCOLON Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:00 am
LocationCOLON Virginia

Post by jmdavis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:26 am

Do you use a grease cookie on the hot days?

I'm wondering about trying to raise the melting point of Emmerts or seeking other ways to keep fouling soft in the heat. While we are not as hot as AU, we will have temps as high as 102f (39c). Most of the commercial BP lubes seem to start melting around 125f. I can definitely see my chamber reaching those temps on a hot Virginia day.

Singleshot S.A.
PostsCOLON 81
JoinedCOLON Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:19 pm
LocationCOLON Adelaide. Sth Oz.

Post by Singleshot S.A. » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I use a cookie in all my 40/65 loads because it has a 32 inch barrel and if I don't use a cookie the last 2 inches of barrel seem to be quite dry and the fouling is harder. My 38:55 has a 28 inch barrel and the lubed bullet is enough. Talking straight BP here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY