Schuetzen powder in COS/Denver?

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
losttrail
PostsCOLON 37
JoinedCOLON Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:30 am
LocationCOLON North of COS, Colorado

Schuetzen powder in COS/Denver?

Post by losttrail » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 am

Well, after attending the Quigley shoot in MT last month, I'm now fully addicted.

Does anyone know of a source 'locally', I'm between COS and Denver, for Schuetzen powder?

Also, what about buying a 25lb bag of powder rather than individual 1lb cans? I would be concerned about sealing and keeping it dry.

The .40-65 C. Sharps 1875 I have loves Shuetzen 2F behind a 420gr.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry
Jerry

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee, Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican

shovel80
PostsCOLON 153
JoinedCOLON Sun May 29, 2011 11:39 am
LocationCOLON Sonora,CA

Re: Schuetzen powder in COS/Denver?

Post by shovel80 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:48 am

I wouldn't know about buying bulk locally, but on line...Maine Powder house has a good deal on Schuetzen Powder. If you buy 25 lbs or more, there is NO Hazmaat Fee or Shipping Fee!
I don't think Black Powder is packaged for sale to Us in Large containers any more!

Terry :D

losttrail
PostsCOLON 37

Post by losttrail » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Kentucky Gun Co - kygunco.com - has a 25lb bag listed for $239.99, $25 HAZMAT and free shipping.

I just am not sure about buying a bag and how well it could be resealed. Chances are I can't load 3,365 rounds in a weekend.

That would be great for buying a bulk load, but I'm also looking for a place I can buy say 1-5 pounds every couple of weeks or every month.

Would like a place somewhere between Colorado Springs and Denver.

Graf & Sons has Schuetzen for $12.99/lb; 25 = $324.75 + $27.50 HAZMAT + $5.95 handling (no shipping fee) = $364.15. Beats Main Powder.

Just looking for local source.
Jerry

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee, Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Unless there's something that has changed in the last couple of weeks, they cannot ship bags of powder to individuals. You can go pick it up, but they can't ship it.
Try Powder Inc for your powder needs if there's no local dealers anymore. Used to be alot of them in and around Denver during the heyday of the muzzleloader craze.
Might google up the Colorado State Muzzleloading Association and see if they have any preferred local dealers listed.

losttrail
PostsCOLON 37

Post by losttrail » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks Ranch.

I sent them an email but there site looks like the last activity was 2011.

Also sent an email to Colorado Springs Muzzle Loaders.

Got a reply back from Schuetzen that they don't know of any retail locations in Colorado.

Looks like bulk buying.
Jerry

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Powder Inc will ship 5 and 10 lb lots if a full case is out of the budget.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:56 pm

A couple of years back, I checked this out with a Goex Distributor in PA because I wanted Cartridge. All bag purchases have to be face to face. Am sure this is a US regulation for other brands too

Barry Miller
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Barry Miller » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:39 am

The Mountain Man in Manituo Springs by Colorado Springs carry Black Powder. Give them a call and see what they have available. Best Wishes Barry

montana_charlie
PostsCOLON 1413
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:35 pm
LocationCOLON West of Great Falls, Montana

Post by montana_charlie » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:10 am

losttrail wroteCOLONKentucky Gun Co - kygunco.com - has a 25lb bag listed for $239.99, $25 HAZMAT and free shipping.
Try to put in an order. If you can't buy it by the bag, they will let you know.
I just am not sure about buying a bag and how well it could be resealed.
When I was stationed in Germany, I shot matches with a muzzleloading club. Black powder was rather hard to find, and the closest source to my home was over in Luxembourg. There was a gunshop there which sold schwartze pulver by the kilo or half-kilo ... in paper sacks.

I never had any detectable problems with powder stored in a paper bag with the top rolled down, like a lunch carried to school.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Cimarron Red
PostsCOLON 31
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Post by Cimarron Red » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:23 pm

losttrail,

I'm in Pueblo West, and I know of no local source aside from the one in Manitou already mentioned. I get my powder in case lots from Powder Inc. in Arkansas. Powder dealers who will be attending the BPCR silhouette nationals at Raton in a week or so will be bringing powder orders with them. So if you hurry you may be able to catch one of those guys.

Barry Miller
PostsCOLON 39
JoinedCOLON Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Barry Miller » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:24 am

Cimmarron Red,

What Black Powder Dist. will be attending the Nationals. Is Upper Missouri, and/or Coonies going to be there? They have not been there for two years. Inquiry minds want to know. Thanks Barry Miller

Cimarron Red
PostsCOLON 31
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Post by Cimarron Red » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Hi, Barry,

Usually the suppliers are the two you've mentioned. But I'm not sure about who will be in attendance this year. I'd check directly with Upper Missouri and Coonies.

losttrail
PostsCOLON 37

Post by losttrail » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:57 am

Barry,
I already checked with Mountain Man in Manitou. No Schuetzen.

Wish I could get down to Raton for Nationals, even just to watch. Not going to happen this year.
Jerry

COBPTR
PostsCOLON 51
JoinedCOLON Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:27 pm

Post by COBPTR » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi Losttrail

You're kinda outta luck as far as powder here in Colorado. There's a place in Denver called Blunderbuss but he charges alot. I'm not even sure he sells Schuetzen but he has Swiss and Goex for sure. Powder Inc. or Coonies are your best bet. I might be able to help you out though. PM me.

On another note you need to come out to Watkins aka Golden Gun Club for Silhouette matches and we have 1000 yard matches in Byers at Colorado Rifle Club. We'd love to have you come out!

Robert G.

losttrail
PostsCOLON 37

Post by losttrail » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi Robert,

I have tried a couple of time to PM you, but it appears to not be working.

Funny that I work contract in Watkins, just east of the gun club.

Once I get past quarterly taxes next week and get some more 'fun money', I plan on joining CRC. I really want to get plugged in to BPCR.

CRC is a bit over 2 hours drive from my home in Monument, but that seems to be about the only place around that offers the distances.

Could you try sending me a PM?

Thanks

Jerry
Jerry

BUTTON_POST_REPLY