45/70/90 casting formula as to lead ratio

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
aces and eights
PostsCOLON 26
JoinedCOLON Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:43 pm

45/70/90 casting formula as to lead ratio

Post by aces and eights » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 pm

Lead ratios. What do you use and why?

We have used many different ratios of lead density. We have used 30/1; 20/1: 15/1; and 11/1 in the Postel and the "money bullet."

Shot through a custom shop Remington with "the best barrel" my gunsmith has seen in 20 years: a Shiloh with "great smoothness" and no leading: an Uberti Quigley that needed fire lapping and still is average or less: and a 1904 Remington that is showing its age and is pitted. [And a Ballard that is on order :x :x ]

After many 100s of rounds we seem to find the 15/1 works well and no leading. My buddy casts 11 or 12/1 with the Paul Jones Postel and money bullet moulds. He uses these - and equals my Sagebrush 15/1s. I do not see a difference between the Sagebrush 15s and 20s. We see no use for the 30s(?).

So, we know nothing. :? :? :? I am certain there are some possibly strong opinions here and would love to hear extended experience and reasoning. :o

We run about 1286 fps in our different loads. He duplexes’ and I use straight Swiss.

Yes, every gun is different :shock: but some base level probably exists. :wink:
Don't move.

{Doc} Nonsense >by all means --- move.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY