Case annealing try this

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
straightneck
PostsCOLON 99
JoinedCOLON Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:50 pm
LocationCOLON Western North Carolina

Case annealing try this

Post by straightneck » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm

Can't take credit for this exactly, I modified what I read in "Brownells Gunsmith Kinks" for annealing bottleneck cases to work for me on straightneck cases. Kinks says to take an iron plate or steel? I forget which and drill a hole just larger than neck size, turn the plate red hot and stick a case in the hole when you see color start up the neck pull it out. head of the case does not get hot and no burned fingers. Per Brownells the smith that sent in this idea has and does load many thousands of rounds a year. I liked the idea of no flame ever hitting the case. I took a piece of round stock 1-1/4" x8" faced it off turned back about 1-1/4" and then turned it down to 3/4 " for about 1' bored the end just larger than than my 50-90 case 3/8" deep, this gave me about 6" to clamp it in the bench vise (sideways) with a head section to heat. Turn it red and then adjust the flame at the back and side to keep it at temp. stick a case in the hole count to five, Ten count and they will turn red (a no-no). This took a little trial and oops. the reason for turning down a section, full diameter drew to much heat off the end. Don't twist or wiggle sideways with the case. I did use leather gloves and dropped in water when removed from hole. It really does a nice anneal with no flame on the case, heats it even and has a controllability that a raw flame don't. :twisted: PS no law suits: (Da-AAA) flame, red metal, and items near or in contact are hot and will burn YOU and other things, stick nothing the area you don't want hot. This should cover the drive through people HOT!! HOT!! HOT!! :lol:
GOD-Girls-Guns made America Great : Sharps: Knock the stripes off a skunk at 500 yards

BUTTON_POST_REPLY