Barrel Slug Fest

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
Gomez
PostsCOLON 28
JoinedCOLON Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:18 am

Barrel Slug Fest

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:41 pm

All,

Just completed slugging all of my barrels and three stood out as worthy of putting out here. Slugs are darn hard to come by so I use pure lead 50 cal round balls which are driven into the breech of the barrel about 4" and then driven back out the same way they came in. It's an imperfect system I know but it's what I had on the bench today. Anybody got a source of .5" pure lead wire/bar, please let me know.

Here goes:

Uberti Highwall 45/70
Uberti #3 barrel, 32"
Rifling: Land Diameter .452" Groove Diameter .458" Depth .006"
Land Width: .153" Groove Width: .120"
Max Cartridge Length: 3.0"

Pedersoli Rolling Block Creedmore 45/70 (1987 Vintage)
Barrel Pedersoli #4, 30"
Land Diameter: .456" Groove .459" Depth .003"
Land Width: .140" Groove .140"
Max Cartridge Length: 3.146"

Miroku "Winchester" Highwall 45/90
Badger barrel: 34"
Land Diameter: .454" Groove: .459" Depth .005"
Land Width: .140" Groove Width: .100"
No max cartridge measured.

These were taken with a dial caliper in my old, arthritic hands so they could be off a thouosandth or two. Do these match up with any measurements taken out there?

This is also posted on the Shiloh site.

Best Regards,
Rob Dorsey
http://OldGringo.us

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:21 pm

I think your off more then a thousandts or so :shock:

Kelley O.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:54 pm

Kelly,

Nah, I don't think so. What do you base that on?

Rob Dorsey

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:01 pm

You can call your measurement what ever you want.

Bore Dia.=.450 or as you say the "lands" is typical of 45 Cal. of modern B.P. barrels.

Groove Dia.=.458, dept=.004 ocluded or .008 included.

I just measured a Pedersoli "74"

Bore=.450 & groove=.008 included.

Used a pin gauge for bore measurement & slugged bore for groove measurement, then used v-groove micrometer to measure groove depth.

A Krieger 45 Cal. barrel, .450 bore & .457 groove. .007 included depth.

A Krieger 44 Cal. barrel, .436 bore & .446 groove. .005 ocluded depth.

A Kriger 40 Cal. barrel, .400 bore & .406 groove. .003 ocluded depth.

A Krieger 50 Cal. barrel, .500 bore & .512 groove. .012 included depth.

Kelley O.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:22 pm

Kelly,

Ok, I'm cool with the "bore" rather than "land diameter" nomenclature. After all we're talking about the same thing, the tightest bore in the barrel and yours is the shorter term.

I remeasured and came up with the same measurements but I must admit it sounds like your measurement tools are more sophisticated than mine.

Anyway, it was an interesting exercise and I'm very interested in two things; the relative tightness of the Uberti bore - it is a well made and really good shooting gun - and the narrowness of the Miroku grooves.

It's a Badger barrel and I would like to get comparisons to other 45 Cal Badger barrels.

Best,
Rob Dorsey

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:31 pm

Since the B.P. communty is pretty small :shock: , I understand you shot Friendship this past weekend with your Uberti :D , so, inquiring minds would like to know, :D how does that Uberti shoot & your score :?:

Kelley O.

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:51 pm

Kelly,

Actually I shot my Miroku 45/90 Highwall, just shot one day and shot a 12. I'm a rock solid "B" shooter at this point. I've been shooting BPCR - strict definition: Black Powder Cartridge Rifles - for 45 years but just this year in competition. I'm not a very competitive person so I tend to stay away from competing. I'm 60 and have a back condition that presently precludes me shooting prone so I have to shoot from a chair with long sticks. It sucks and I'm shocked that I can hit anything from that "rest". With my physical therapist I'm working on getting down to prone before next season.

I'm probably going to shoot the Uberti next season. It's 45/70, has a #3 barrel so it's much easier to shoot off hand and I've got some new wood from George at Treebone Carving that I'll mount and checker this winter. That, plus a new set of Kelly sights, will make a nice, controlable package. Damn chickens anyway!

Rob Dorsey

Dave Maurer
PostsCOLON 55
JoinedCOLON Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:34 am

Post by Dave Maurer » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Gomez
Don't knock yourself out trying to get in the prone position. I can't shoot prone myself.I just shoot sitting and have fun. You don't have to win,just enjoy shooting. It's not the winning that counts. You just shoot to better your score and meet real good people.
Dave

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Dave,

Roger that! I shoot for fun and really don't plan on winning, ever. Anyway, the Friendship crowd are such a super bunch of guys that just being there, sharing ideas and shooting, makes everyone a winner. The guy who wins with a 68 gets no more attaboys than the B shooter who moves up to A.

We all gotta remember, it's a hobby. It's not about world hunger, ending disease or saving the spotted tree frog. Make it fun.

Best,
Rob Dorsey

Kelley O. Roos
PostsCOLON 944

Post by Kelley O. Roos » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Rob,

Don't let Dave M., shit you :shock: , he's one of the best sitting shooters I know, yes I know Dave, he was a used car salesman at one time :lol: :lol: :lol: Next time I see Dave at a shoot I'll be paying a little better attention to his sitting position. Beside, Dave almost 100 years old. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Badger .45

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 am

Gomez,......

Badger .45 cals will run .450 / .458, ..........and fall out offa' that spec due to inevitable slight variance in finish lapping. I think max I've seen was .0003.

I'll dig out some Corbin core wire,.....how much do you need?

GTC 8)

Gomez
PostsCOLON 28

Post by Gomez » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:04 pm

GTC,

What you say makes great sense. If I were making a barrel those would be the dimensions.

As for your generous offer to help with wire, I've been on the Corbin site and it looks like the biggest they have is .430. Have I missed something? I would take a foot of .500 if I could get it.

Best,
Rob Dorsey
mailto:robd@oldgringo.us

crossfireoops
PostsCOLON 767
JoinedCOLON Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 am

Lead Wire

Post by crossfireoops » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Gomez, .....I've got a Corbin CH 1 sitting out in the "Coop".......and theres a core wire extrusion die with it, that will run .500 wire, .....I'm pretty sure that I've got a stash of it, ...and will do a bit of digging.

Veral Smith makes some really nice "Push Through" pure lead gizmos, that spool up to a cleaning rod (little "Tit" on the butt end)

Dunno if he does em' for .50, ....mine are .460"

I get pretty good luck with Lead Tin cast boolits, .......and Have polised out some drill rod for "Impact slugging"... This is territory where Angels might wisely fear to tread,..........and straight grained maple dowells (ML suppiers got 'em) may be the wiser choice.

A good blade micrometer, a vee block and a rigid dial indicator will see one through the worst this can get. Old Mckagen has got the deal aced, but I think the instruments he's using are fabulously rare, and very $$.

I'll dig around for that wire,....best of luck,

GTC

BUTTON_POST_REPLY