Current Lyman Postell mold quality

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 55
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Maryland

Current Lyman Postell mold quality

Post by horseman308 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 am

I've been using a Lee 459-500r, which was inexpensive to start on but appears not to be the greatest bullet ever designed by man. I shoot the Pedersoli Sharps in .45-70 and would like to step up somewhat. Unfortunately, a custom mold isn't really in the budget for me, so I'm thinking of the Lyman Postell. I have read that they can be hit or miss, depending on where in the life cycle of the production machinery it is. Can anybody shed light on whether they're in a good spot at the moment?
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

martinibelgian
PostsCOLON 459
JoinedCOLON Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:31 am
LocationCOLON Belgium

Re: Current Lyman Postell mold quality

Post by martinibelgian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:17 am

In the long term, a good mould like a Baco will be cheapest: You KNOW the mold will be good, which takes already 1 variable out of the equation. And they'll make your mold, to more exacting tolerances.
Or shop at a good outfit like accuratemolds, very good too. Costs a bit more, but chances are you only need to buy once.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 55
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 am

I know you're right. I should just suck it up. Does BACO have a website? When I Google the name, all I get is links to forums and to Buffalo Arms.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1578
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:03 am

A couple of other moulds that throw good bullets for the 45-70 are the Saeco 645, and the RCBS 82084 (530 gr) bullet.
Buffalo Arms moulds are as Gert said very high quality, and are offered in a variety of diameters. Something you're Pedersoli may need is a bullet that drops from the mould at .460 diameter. BACO has a couple that will do that.
Brooks also will build a mould pretty much to the specifications you give them.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396
JoinedCOLON Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:46 pm
LocationCOLON British Columbia

Post by gunlaker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 am
I know you're right. I should just suck it up. Does BACO have a website? When I Google the name, all I get is links to forums and to Buffalo Arms.
BACO is Buffalo Arms Co. Their molds are great. If I were to have only one mold ( fortunately I have a pile of them :-) ) it would be a Buffalo Arms Money bullet.

I have heard that the Pedersoli rifles prefer a .460" bullet. I think that BACO makes a bullet specifically to fit the Pedersoli.

Chris.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 55
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am

gunlaker wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 am

BACO is Buffalo Arms Co. Their molds are great. If I were to have only one mold ( fortunately I have a pile of them :-) ) it would be a Buffalo Arms Money bullet.

I have heard that the Pedersoli rifles prefer a .460" bullet. I think that BACO makes a bullet specifically to fit the Pedersoli.

Chris.
Yeah, I just realized that. I'm an idiot. Thanks!

I know there's the Gunn-Trenk bullet for the Pedersoli, but I don't see anything on B.A.'s website reflecting that. What makes you prefer the Money profile over the Postell? I see them both listed a whole lot, but with the Postell getting the edge in terms of popularity.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:40 pm

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am
gunlaker wroteCOLON
Chris.
I know there's the Gunn-Trenk bullet for the Pedersoli, but I don't see anything on B.A.'s website reflecting that. What makes you prefer the Money profile over the Postell? I see them both listed a whole lot, but with the Postell getting the edge in terms of popularity.
There are several .460 bullets on BACO: https://www.buffaloarms.com/bullet-moul ... oulds?p=18

The "money bullets" have a higher ballistic coeficient nose, therefore they maintain velocities better down range. But due to the nose shape I recommend at least 20:1 alloy and prefer 16:1 alloy to minimize the possibility of nose slump.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 1018
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm

BTW, the Lyman Postell is a very good bullet design. It was designed by Postell for long range target shooting and is one of the best long range target bullets ever designed, widely used for BPC silhouette. I don't know about their moulds, mine are several years old, but Lyman has been having some quality issues with their dies recently. I've had to return a couple for replacements.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 55
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 pm

TexasMac wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:53 pm
BTW, the Lyman Postell is a very good bullet design. It was designed by Postell for long range target shooting and is one of the best long range target bullets ever designed, widely used for BPC silhouette. I don't know about their moulds, mine are several years old, but Lyman has been having some quality issues with their dies recently. I've had to return a couple for replacements.

Wayne
That's what I was initially wondering. But if a .460 bullet tends to work better in Pedersolis then I'll probably lean that way.

Premod70
PostsCOLON 95
JoinedCOLON Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am

Post by Premod70 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:22 pm

For the little difference in money I would go with the RCBS molds. Very excellent machining and metal quality. If only shooting black powder the correct lead to tin ratio is more critical that bore/groove fitment, obtruration is your friend. Good luck.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396

Post by gunlaker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Whatever you do, regarding a mold, find someone who is shooting to the level that you want to be at., and with the same rifle. Then buy the same mold :D . Many of us have a lot of molds. I have enough of them that I don't know how many I have, although I only use a few of them :-). It's easy to spend a lot of money on the wrong mold.

Chris.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 55
LocationCOLON Maryland

Post by horseman308 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:47 pm

gunlaker wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm
Whatever you do, regarding a mold, find someone who is shooting to the level that you want to be at., and with the same rifle. Then buy the same mold :D . Many of us have a lot of molds. I have enough of them that I don't know how many I have, although I only use a few of them :-). It's easy to spend a lot of money on the wrong mold.

Chris.
Thanks for the advice. It's a good idea. Realistically, I have neither the time nor the competitive spirit (or patience, really) to wring out every drop of accuracy. My goal is to hit the 500m rams +/- 50% of the time, depending on shooting conditions. Same goes for the remaining silhouettes. A recipe that'll do that is plenty satisfying for me.

gunlaker
PostsCOLON 396

Post by gunlaker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:35 pm

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:47 pm
gunlaker wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:29 pm

Chris.
Thanks for the advice. It's a good idea. Realistically, I have neither the time nor the competitive spirit (or patience, really) to wring out every drop of accuracy. My goal is to hit the 500m rams +/- 50% of the time, depending on shooting conditions. Same goes for the remaining silhouettes. A recipe that'll do that is plenty satisfying for me.
You will know when you have found a bullet that your rifle likes as it will shoot quite well no matter what the powder charge. It'll just shoot really well with the optimal charge. Hopefully you can dig up a design that will get you where you need to go. I do not know the throat configuration of the Pedersoli rifles, but often you can do very well by picking a bullet diameter that slip fits nicely into a fired case. If a .460" bullet does that then I'd give it a go. If the cases after firing are too short then try a few .45-90 cases cut down to fit. Other than that a little Swiss 1.5 or Old Eynsford should make a noticeable improvement.

Chris.

Bakebfr480
PostsCOLON 19
JoinedCOLON Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:09 pm

Post by Bakebfr480 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:44 am

I have a lyman 45 caliber Postell mould that works as well as my custom Hoch 550 grain Creedmoor mould. I prefer the Hoch though as it is heavier and it's a nose pour mould!

Fluke
PostsCOLON 1
JoinedCOLON Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:00 am

Post by Fluke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:12 am

horseman308 wroteCOLON
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:55 am
gunlaker wroteCOLON

Chris.

I know this threads getting a little old, but FWIW, I just had Brooks make me a Pedersoli Gunn Trenk, he made it in a base pour. It came ready to go with two sample bullets one still in the mould. Brooks makes his to fit SAECO handles. It took a couple of weeks, 190 something

BUTTON_POST_REPLY