Are my cases ruined?

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
horseman308
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ypsilanti, MI

Are my cases ruined?

Post by horseman308 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:19 am

So after a day at the range, I totally forgot about my empties that I had left sitting in a water and dish soap bath. I mix up some soapy water to drop my empties in after each shot and just have it in old milk jug. But I blanked and left them in there for over a week before I remembered. :shock: These are BP loads.

I'm an idiot, I know. But just how big? They are now a nice tarnished blackish color though I rinsed, washed again, and rerinsed immediately. Should I just pitch them and replace, or might they still be useable?

Related question, if you forget to wash the BP fouling at all, what's the effect on cases?
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1583
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Re: Are my cases ruined?

Post by Brent » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 am

Certainly, they are still usable. Might be several trips through your cleaning, reloading and shooting routine before they are back to their normal shine, but no big deal.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

TexasMac
PostsCOLON 993
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:08 pm
LocationCOLON Central Texas
CONTACTCOLON

Post by TexasMac » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:44 am

I deprime at the match & drop my cases in a water & soap solution that has been used many times, so it's already black from black powder residue. Although I normally clean them within a few days I've let them soak for up to a couple of weeks in the solution prior to cleaning in a tumbler with ceramic media. After 2 to 3 hrs of tumbling the stained cases come out looking new inside and out.

Wayne
NRA Life (President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member
Click on http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html to my home page containing information on my Browning/Winchester BPCR book & associated articles.

horseman308
PostsCOLON 27
JoinedCOLON Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:29 pm
LocationCOLON Ypsilanti, MI

Post by horseman308 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:07 am

Ok, thanks! I'm still getting the hang of BP cartridge processes. I never let a gun sit longer than a few hours after the past shot, but it's always been muzzleloaders and c&b revolvers before.
The only bullet you fire is the one in the chamber. Make it count.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1565
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Post by Ranch 13 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:53 am

You're better off to let the fired cases sit until you get done shooting then deprime, prewash them and then put them into what ever tumbler you use.
When on a trip from away from home and it'll be a few days before I can run them thru the tumbler, I carry my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner and run the days fired cases thru it. Then when I get home run them thru the tumbler to get them shined up.

Vbull
PostsCOLON 139
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:40 pm
LocationCOLON South County, Rhode Island

Post by Vbull » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:07 am

So long as the cases are dry when I put them back in the box while shooting, I just leave them alone until I get home.
I've had no ill effect on the cases and have not cleaned them up to a week later. Normally I clean them the next day after traveling home.
If they get wet during a match due to rain, I shake them off and try to dry them before putting them in the case for the ride home. I've been doing it that way since starting to shoot cartridge black powder almost 30 years ago. FM

BUTTON_POST_REPLY