shotgun reloading

Discussion of BPCR loading techniques, SAFETY, Case Cleaning and Prep, Indexing, BP Choice, Primers, Wads, Compression, Drop Tubes, Vibration, Load Testing, etc.
Brent
PostsCOLON 1587
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

shotgun reloading

Post by Brent » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Has anyone hear tried reloading shotgun shells with blackpowder and a plastic shotcup. i know if I put the plastic right down on the powder, here will be plastic melting issues (funny this doesn't happen with LDPE wads in rifle loads). But what about putting a Circle fly overpowder wad and then a fiber or fiber and lubed wad over the shot before adding the shotcup? I have some shotcups that have no legs - just the cup, so they are very short. Can they be made to work with black?
I'm not from here, I just live here.

Ranch 13
PostsCOLON 1566
JoinedCOLON Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:41 am
LocationCOLON Eastern Wy
CONTACTCOLON

Re: shotgun reloading

Post by Ranch 13 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 pm

Brent I messed with that just a little for an old family heirloom double barrel with damascus. Using the circle fly wads under the shot cups helps with fouling and patterns. The wads I had on hand were for a 14 gauge muzzle loader, and they fit in the fired hulls just nice. Don't know if 12 ga. wads would be a good fit or not.
It's a nice old shotgun, but doesn't lock up as solid as I'ld like, so I only shot enough to see if it would pattern and got a couple of pheasants with it, and put it back away.

Might want to go to Cascity forum hall and look in there to see what those guys are doing with the bp loaded shot shells.

38-72
PostsCOLON 32
JoinedCOLON Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:38 pm

Post by 38-72 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:25 am

I’ve loaded black powder (including BP subs) shotshell for several years now (cowboy action shooting). In the beginning, I used shot cups and tried several different wad stacks to get ride of the melted plastic. I never did find a stack combo that would work at eliminating the melt problem.

I gave up on the plastic shot cups and went to cork, card board wads, along with grease cookies. Made a word of difference in improving the speed and ease of cleaning up the barrel. The shot patterns are tight enough that I can shoot trap with BP. It’s a lot of fun watching the other shooters on the line when they 1st see that cloud of smoke. The down side is I never get to see the bird break.

Brent
PostsCOLON 1587
JoinedCOLON Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:12 pm
LocationCOLON the most boring real estate west of Illinois

Post by Brent » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 am

38-72 wroteCOLON
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:25 am
I’ve loaded black powder (including BP subs) shotshell for several years now (cowboy action shooting). In the beginning, I used shot cups and tried several different wad stacks to get ride of the melted plastic. I never did find a stack combo that would work at eliminating the melt problem.

I gave up on the plastic shot cups and went to cork, card board wads, along with grease cookies. Made a word of difference in improving the speed and ease of cleaning up the barrel. The shot patterns are tight enough that I can shoot trap with BP. It’s a lot of fun watching the other shooters on the line when they 1st see that cloud of smoke. The down side is I never get to see the bird break.
Thanks. I will give up on the shotcups. It seems like that a good wad stack would prevent melting since a minimum wad stack in a rifle prevents paper patches from being scorched, but apparently not. I'll go back to the fiber and cardboard.

It is fun to shoot black at the range. Folks think my gun blew up on the first shot and come running. But the down side to shooting black is that I often cannot see if I broke the bird. The barrels also get smoking hot, which requires a glove when shooting with the tiny splinter fore ends that my guns have.
I'm not from here, I just live here.

BUTTON_POST_REPLY